How do YOU hold your 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Okay - so I know it's a fairly limited question - but one that I feel is important nonetheless - and I have very rarely seen people do it correctly. When I conduct check-out dives for my job (and all Scientific Diver candidates are already certified divers), it's something I spend some time on as not one person was doing it correctly.

So rather than answering my own question, I'd like to see what other people have to say and why...

Thanks,
John

im not too sure i understand your question? I dont hold my second stage when im diving? Are you talking about Holding techniques upon entering the water??

Are you meaning "how do you hold it when sharing air"?

If so: right hand, arm extended, by the hose such that the mouth piece faces away from me.

Otherwise, I don't understand the question...

It's not clear what your asking...I usualy hold my second stage in my mouth. Are you refering to your alternate?

haha... three replies, three interpretations of the same question.

And yet, we still don't know what he was asking.....

How do I hold it when?

When buddy breathing, the donor holds it by the hose stem, the recipient holds the donor's wrist.
When donating my primary, I hold it by the hose stem with the mouthpiece toward the recipient.
When purging, I hold the sides of the faceplate with my thumb and three fingers while my index finger works the purge button.
When surface swimming, I have it securely clipped to my right shoulder D-ring.
When actively breathing, I hold it with my teeth. I don't need to touch it for that.
When field servicing/cleaning it, I hold it firmly with the face plate up, and firmly grasp and turn the face plate with my other hand.
When filling a lift bag or SMB, It's just like purging, but upside down.

I'm not sure why I'm holding it anywhere except in my mouth, and my teeth hold it there.

If I'm using my bungied backup then it's clipped off.

I'm not sure what he's asking however, maybe one of those answered his question.

I suspect he'll be back to tell us what he was asking or tell us how we're all doing it wrong. There is one thing that scares me however, he's an instructor and says that for the most part nobody but him knows how to hold it correctly. That's a bit scarry because I can't believe only one person and the people he trains are doing it right.

They come with an accessory mouth piece and you can hold it in place with your teeth. It's a pain the as* if you're trying to have a snack underwater but otherwise a good idea and that's how I hold my 2nd stage.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom