How do YOU hold your 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyH:
my questions pertains to how you grab the reg whenever you, well, grab your reg.
In that case, I'm going to have to go with "I hold it differently depending on the task." I don't believe there's any one way to hold a reg that's appropriate for all situations.

Wildcard:
However it lands in my hand. Usualy cuped in my palm to cover the purge valve....Why would it matter how you grab it? Sounding kinda anal to me at this point.

I don't mean to imply there is only one correct way, however there is definitely an incorrect way - and covering the purge valve with your hand is definitely incorrect. Anal? Humm, sure. But if you make yourself learn to do something one way every time then when there is an emergency you can react without thinking.

Any yes - every single person I've checked out has covered their purge valve with their hand - when placing the reg in their mouth (no big deal) or when donating (big deal) during OOA. And of course it's not their fault - they were trained that way.

BTW - There have been some funny as hell posts on this thread. However to be an instructor and to say the above quote is kinda irresponsible.

John

When i grab my regulator (it being the octo or the one i use) I usually cup my hand around it, covering the purge valve. That is of course, as soon as I have gotten hold of it. If ive "lost" the regulator, I do what youre taught.. Get hold of the hose, slide down the hose till you find the regulator. From there, I cup it in my hand, covering the purge valve..

JH, what is the better method? I find that I swoop up the reg with my right arm, follow the hose with my left hand to the 2nd stage housing and then grasp the outer rim of the 2nd and place it in my mouth.

Repositioning the reg with my right hand is usually something that covers the purge however.

The point he is making...with very little tact I might add, is that when donating any hose to an OOG diver...ensure the purge is not covered so the OOG diver can utilize it if necessary. Also, this would prevent you from accidently purging the reg yourself when the OOG diver is not expecting it.

J

JohnnyH:
... - and covering the purge valve with your hand is definitely incorrect. ...
Sorry, but covering the purge valve with your hand is only incorrect if you are passing it to someone else. There is nothing wrong with palming the purge when you are manipulating your 2nd stage for your own purposes.

CatFishBob:
there is nothing wrong with palming the purge when you are manipulating your 2nd stage for your own purposes.

LOL

However, my point is that you should try to be consistent so that when confronted with a stressful situation you don't have to consciously think about your actions - they just happen.

John

Back
Top Bottom