How do YOU hold your 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
There are many instructors all over the world, I'm sure one wouldn't mind coming out to teach you. :wink:

Sorry, the DIR way is only the "right" way if you happen to be diving with a DIR buddy.

But since you brought it up, is there a DIR way to "hold your second stage"?

theskull

cummings66:
. . . I suspect he'll be back to tell us what he was asking or tell us how we're all doing it wrong. There is one thing that scares me however, he's an instructor and says that for the most part nobody but him knows how to hold it correctly. That's a bit scarry because I can't believe only one person and the people he trains are doing it right.

I find it just as scary that he is an instructor and shows such poor communication skills.

By the time his students figure out the right way to "hold" their second stage (his opinion) there won't be a lot of time left for such obscure skills as air sharing and buoyancy control.

theskull

The way I learned, and how we teach is by holding the hose. If donating in an OOA situation and you palm the regulator 2 things come to mind. [thing 1]=If you are palming your regulator, and I am OOA and stressed, it would be very easy for me to jerk the whole thing away from you, and hopefully you can get to your secondary. [thing 2]= I am palming the regulator to give to you because you are OOA for whatever reason. You aren't familiar enough with my equiptment to know that the regulator can be cleared without pushing the purge, which just happens to be under my palm at the time, and you freak out even more. We teach/train this everytime, because statistics show that in a "stress" situation tou revert to whatever you have been trained to do. Whether or not it is acutall training or just a habit, you will revert to whatever or however you commonly do thing. Also while holding the hose you have a much firmer grip and make it much harder for someone to "take away" the whole thing. Just my 2 cents.

WesTexDiver:
The way I learned, and how we teach is by holding the hose. .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is what the OP was trying to get at. That is the way I was taught to pass a donated 2nd.

I find the best way to pass the second stage to an ooa diver is to use my aquaman like mind control skills to let the second stage flow directly into their mouth un-aided by human hand.

Hank49:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is what the OP was trying to get at. That is the way I was taught to pass a donated 2nd.

You may be right, however, I believe he posted this nonsense to get you to look at his website.

Hank49:

That is the method I teach and was taught. I originally asked the question because I thought there might be some good discussion around the topic and because I've found out that many folks hadn't really spent too much time thinking about it.

Anyway - hope you guys all have a good Thanksgiving.

Best,
John

I was taught that when donating you grab the hose of the reg you're going to give away in a manner so that your palm faces your face. That way if they try to jerk it away they would have to pull it through your hand. This won't happen and step one of maintaining control is accomplished, i.e. you didn't lose the reg to the diver wanting air and become a diver hanging on a rope as he drags you upwards.

howarde:
I find the best way to pass the second stage to an ooa diver is to use my aquaman like mind control skills to let the second stage flow directly into their mouth un-aided by human hand.

I never thought of this, I'll start practicing this immediatley. Maybe I could get a C-Card if I got really good at it....like....Mind Control Specialty..:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom