How do YOU keep fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kind of a lazy person. Thus, I need to make up short, medium-intensity workouts. Three to four days a week, I spend 20-30 minutes at the gym, but the entire time, I'm exercising with good form, with maximum one minute break between sets.

Then after the gym, I swim for around a half hour to cool down, just a nice relaxing swim. Once or twice a week, I run 5-10km, which basically just replaces a workout. Doing lots of shore dives increases my strength too.

I don't stop working out for long periods of time, because I know that if I stop, it's going to be very difficult to get back into the habit. For most people, a half hour to an hour of good hard exercise each day is more than enough.

It's going to be tough for you at first, but just keep it consistent and don't go too hard (or you might lose motivation). Start slow. Doing something is better than doing nothing. Even if you're busy, you'll always have a half hour free to do some push-ups, jumping jacks, burpees, and so on.

...swimming...
Where do you swim? You still at NG Redondo?

I'm in the R9 building. I swim at the pool by hawthorne highscool at lunch time (lap swim opens at noon). Want to join sometime? It's about time we actually meet.

Where do you swim? You still at NG Redondo?

I'm in the R9 building. I swim at the pool by hawthorne highscool at lunch time (lap swim opens at noon). Want to join sometime? It's about time we actually meet.
That's a nice & convenient location for a noontime swim; it's tough to do the entire regimen above and be back in the office by one pm. If you (and everyone else here on the Board) can at least satisfy the GUE Tech 2 requirement of 500 yds/475 m in under 14 minutes then you're doing fine.

It's all about learning and developing a proper smooth & efficient freestyle technique and the Total Immersion links above illustrate it nicely. . .

Hmmm, well, I used to swim five miles per week, run 25 miles per week and cycle 100 miles per week. But post accident I no longer can run so I substitute an elliptical trainer for running, but the rest I still do. I just came in off the bike for a 30 miler. I watch what I eat because I believe most people are addicted to food and if you do not put it in your mouth, you cannot put it on your butt. I have always been more into endurance and distance than the typical weight routines most guys do to bulk up, I do not want to bulk up, I would rather be lean and fast and able to go the distance and for that, good aerobic fitness and low body weight are critical. I love doing triathlons though I have not done any for sometime, well, officially anyways.

My fitness program is not for diving, it for anything and everything be it hiking or diving or paddling or whatever, in other words, living in the world and not on the couch. I could not imagine going through life obese like the majority of people, that is right---MAJORITY-- of people are obese and as a result are essentially cripples trapped in their gigantic bodies.

I try to keep my body fat percentage around 5%, it is hard though when everybody at lunch is porking out and I have a diet Pepsi, but, if it don't go in the mouth, it cannot go on the butt.

N

That's a nice & convenient location for a noontime swim; it's tough to do the entire regimen above and be back in the office by one pm.

That regimen maybe. I just swim through (generally all freestyle), though. If I'm in the water by 12, I can do 1800y, take a quick shower, stop somewhere on the way to pick up lunch (calling ahead as soon as I get out of the pool) and be back right around 1. It is more than an hour with the drive (assuming the lunch stop), but I have enough flexibility (engineering) that I can just tack it on at the end of the day. Actually, since I get in at or before 6am, I still usually leave before everyone else I work with :p

The working Fridays are better since I work 6-3 and hit the afternoon session. It's nice not being up against meetings.

IMHO the best exercise to keep swim fit is.. swimming. No two exercises are quite the same.

I remember a couple of years ago I decided to do a tri. Swimming was never going to be my forte, so I came up with a brilliant plan - focus just on my running and cycling, then a few weeks before the event just get some swimming tips from a coach, and brute force my way through it. I figured that I could survive on my cardio fitness alone.

Well about two laps into my first swim practice, i realised just how wrong I was. I was totally stuffed, just couldn't catch my breath. So for diving, i reckon you should definiately include swimming because it's the only sport that forces you to work out while controlling your breathing.

I swim at least 3 times a week. Normally 1 km free-style followed by 400 meters flutter kick in fins to keep the legs strong because I rarely get to dive.

I read further up about the GUE test of 475 meters in 14 minutes. I usually take 27 minutes to do my kilometer so I guess I pass it.

I also try to use an indoor exercise bike at least 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes.

Oh and in the winter I snowboard every weekend.

BTW, I am 50 years old and only learned to swim 18 months ago because I wanted to get into scuba diving. Actually I realized that I could swim okay but I just couldn't breathe correctly as OzGriffo mentioned above.

Oh yeah, and I don't smoke and only drink in moderation.

I dive 3 or 4 days a week, non diving days I go to the gym. I usually do 30min on the bike, then weights, finishing up with a 500m swim. I need to lose the ol belly. Makes fitting into a wetsuit more awkward then it needs to be.

I have a power rack set up in my basement along with adjustable benches, bars, olympic weights, kettlebells, etc. I use a modified lifting technique that I came up with after learning what my body responds to. Its a blend of powerlifting, sport specific training, and body weight movements (push ups/pull ups/inverted shoulder presses)

I also mix in the cardio in the form of hill sprints on the hill next to my house, 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag, jumping rope, box jumps, etc... Unfortunately, I do not have any real access to a pool. I ditched my gym membership a while ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom