How do YOU keep fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ, that's my kind of exercise . . .

Neither my wife nor I could be called athletic, though at 60 years old we stay in good shape. Debbie swims a half mile once a week at our dive center pool, and she and I walk 5 to 7 evenings a week around a local lake, a distance of 1.5 miles. I have a weight workout and cardio time at my local gym, usually 2 days a week, but I miss about 1 in 8 scheduled workouts due to intrusive work obligations. I recommend a regular walking program to begin, and perhaps add some cardio after the first two weeks. If your knees and hips are young enough and healthy enough to take it, speed up the walk to be a jog, even a run.
Of, course, calorie and carb consumption is something we should all monitor. More as each year passes. I get plenty of exercise, but I get plenty of carbs and calories too. I need to work on that side of the equation.
DivemasterDennis

Monday - BJJ 90min
Tuesday - Crossfit class & krav maga class (60min each)
Wednesday - BJJ 90min
Thursday - Crossfit class & krav maga class (60min each)
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - Strength work or MTB ride (sometimes both when it's cooler out)
Sunday - Diving or MTB ride

So while I am quite strong and have above average endurance especially for my age (39), I want to lose about 15lbs over the next 4-6 months. Cleaning up my diet even more will get me there with the amount of work I put in every week.

Twice a week with a trainer at Gold's Gym.

Hey James R, don't you belong over at Fighting Arts Forum? I found that a martial artist has very much the same mindset as a diver. It sure worked for me to make the crossover from MA instructor to dive instructor.

For a while now I've been realizing that my fitness levels have dropped significantly. When I had to take the 200m fitness test for the PADI Open Water course, the fact that I got out of breath shocked me. PADI further recommends that you build your fitness levels for longer and more enjoyable dives.

So how do you guys keep your fitness level up? Or do you find yourself out of breath underwater?

I have decided to take up jogging, which is all a bit novel for me but I found a great technique for starting out using the Couch 2 5k approach, I've shared the links in my blog about my adventures with jogging Learning to dive and the fish thereafter... ...not quite as fun as scuba, but good for the body and mind!
Developing a good breathing technique is perhaps the biggest challenge for beginner and intermediate swimmers. Problems with breathing can easily knock on into other parts of the stroke. For instance, breathing can cause scissor kicks, poor body position, cross-overs and lop sided strokes.
Many swimmers have a problem with their stroke technique that is related to their breathing without realising that their breathing is the cause of the problem.

How To Master Breathing In The Freestyle Stroke
Improper breathing technique will also turn what should be an easy fun aerobic freestyle for beginners into a grueling, flailing and sinking anaerobic ordeal.

I swim--try to swim 1 km every day, but often don't manage it (it's rainy season now and I won't get in the pool during thunderstorms). However, I don't do the he-man GUE times, nor do I think it's at all necessary. I could stand to lose some "padding," it's true, but I've just had my physical and my lung capacity, heart rates, EKG, tomography, etc. all add up to give me a "body age" that's 20 years less than my chronological age. So I guess I'm reasonably fit, though I'm nowhere near as fit as I was 7-10 years ago before I moved to a place I can't find a gym I like.

being military i get a nice morning workout every day. 3 times a week we do crossfit, the other 2 days are a mix of running, rucking, or sports. Sat is usually diving all day or i will do a 4th crossfit workout....sunday is rest day

try to swim 1 km every day
[snip]
However, I don't do the he-man GUE times, nor do I think it's at all necessary.

The GUE swim requirements aren't particularly herculean. The pace of the rec requirement is 1.2 kph / .73 mph. I believe it's meant to be attainable to people who don't swim regularly as a form of exercise.

In 14 minutes, it's 275m for rec classes, 375m for level 1 tech/cave, 450m for level 2, and 550 for level 3.

The GUE swim requirements aren't particularly herculean. The pace of the rec requirement is 1.2 kph / .73 mph. I believe it's meant to be attainable to people who don't swim regularly as a form of exercise.

In 14 minutes, it's 275m for rec classes, 375m for level 1 tech/cave, 450m for level 2, and 550 for level 3.

Yes, those swim requirements are quite slow for most swimmers. But, at least they have a requirement that requires some minor effort to achieve. Most fitness lap swimmers do a mile in around 30 minutes or better, some much faster. On the Masters team I work out with sometimes, a 30 minute mile would be in the slower lane share group. A 30 minute mile is 2 MPH, not to bad, not all that shabby, but not exactly fast either. I usually swim by time, not distance, in 30 minutes I go about a mile and a quarter but I try to do 45 minutes with intervals over the last 15 minutes which puts me out over a mile and a half but I rest between intervals. But sometimes I just cruise for an hour and do only two miles.

N

Mostly cycling. I typically put in 20 miles or more at least once or twice a week.

I try to walk a mile after lunch if I'm not booked back to back in meetings.

Back
Top Bottom