How do you keep warm during SI when it is cold outside??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wind chill is the problem. My solution is to dive a skin-2-side wet suit that is dry almost instantly. That's not a solution for everyone, so if you get a windproof jumpsuit that you can pull over your wet wetsuit or drysuit that will help a bunch. Similarly, quick to dry suits like a Viking or Gates are much warmer between dives than a slow to dry suit like a DUI.

If you are diving in a wetsuit, consider getting a second. I dry off and imediately put on the dry second wetsuit. This works great for me. I have a vested hood too---big fan of hoods as water circulating through my ear canals always seems to chill me to the bone. Henderson hyperstretch makes the change easier....

The cost of a second wetsuit is offset by the fact that they last twice as long!

Well after much consideration, I decided to go back to the Sports Authority and buy the ProCat 3000 btu with fan like Ber Rabbit has. I still have the 1500 btu ProCat without fan. Between the two of them we should be toasty since our temps are not as cold as the Rabbits.

We have the cider, tea, coffee, hot choc, hot lemonade, and hot soup all ready to do.

I am really excited about this weekend. Thank guys for helping me get ready.

Leah

Easiest solution is of course to get a drysuit :p But since thats not an option I'd say get dry fast and put on warm clothing. I do recommend wool, fleece is good but nothing beats a nice pice of wool sweater. No electricity or fuel required :p

As several have recommended:

divegear_1918_21030228

I did not read the WHOLE thread, but some people bring hot water to pour inside their wetsuits after the first dive. The warm water stays heated for about a third of the second dive before it gets flushed out.

I like to suggest using the mirrored emergency blankets that you can usually find at any military surplus store.

A first-aid kit should always have one!

catherine96821:
I did not read the WHOLE thread, but some people bring hot water to pour inside their wetsuits after the first dive. The warm water stays heated for about a third of the second dive before it gets flushed out.
I pour water in prior to the first dive, that keeps me from having to heat up the water that would otherwise come in. I do the same prior to subsequent dives but I wonder if that is not self defeating because of the peripheral vasodilatation that it causes that shifts warm blood from my core to the skin.

peripheral vasodilatation that it causes that shifts warm blood from my core to the skin.

ahhh...good point. If you feel warmer though, that should answer the question, no?

and I suppose some anti warm shower people might question the practice, especially dumped in after the first dive, with N2 offgassing underway?

catherine96821:
ahhh...good point. If you feel warmer though, that should answer the question, no?

and I suppose some anti warm shower people might question the practice, especially dumped in after the first dive, with N2 offgassing underway?
It's called paradoxical cooling and you can actually lower your core temp (in severe cases of hypothermia you can stop the heart this way). I suppose some anti-shower folks might, but in terms of both phenomena it's likely minor since we're only talking a quart of two of warm HOH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom