How do you keep warm during SI when it is cold outside??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now back to the sportcat Dandy, you said:
"Since its' catalytic, no worries about flame or carbon monoxide."

Can you explain that a bit more about the carbon monoxide and anything about oxygen depletion in a small space???
Thanks,
Leah
First, here is a warning discussion against using your kerosene heater indoors: here

An explanation of "no flame" can be found: here I'm having to research answers, as I've not used one myself.

And a better explanation than I can give on negligible carbon monoxide levels can be found: here Excerpting...
While the catalytic heating process consumes oxygen, it produces no harmful amounts of waste gas (i.e. carbon monoxide). A total free-air opening of 4" x 6" should be provided to replace oxygen consumed by the heater and occupants. Normally, opening a small window and/or roof vent is adequate ventilation.

One can also find other discussions. In a house, a battery power CO detector would still be prudent, but for a changing shelter - I don't think there is any concern beyond touching hot metal.

Nay:
Something else I haven't seen mentioned is you want to avoid the caffeine. Hot tea and coffee (unless it's decaf) won't do you much good. Caffeine will restrict your blood flow a bit and won't aide in warming. The best thing you can drink is something like hot cider that's warm and has lots of sugar.

Otherwise, you seem to have it covered.

This must be an all day ordeal. A tent? A heater? It sounds like about the same temps we get here in the winter and we just peel the wet suit down, toss the parka and beanie on and hang out by the car. That's if I'm not too cold to do a second dive. :p

Nay, we will being doing 2 days and one night of diving. The diving will begin Saturday morning through Saturday night and then after some hot food and good nights rest, we will be back in the water Sunday morning. Here are the details at this link for anybody who might be in the upstate of South Carolina and want to join us for all or part. http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=10888

Good to know about the caffeine and warmth/blood vessel constriction. I wonder how that would affect off gassing?? :coffee: Anybody know?:eyebrow:
Leah

leah:
Nay, we will being doing 2 days and one night of diving. The diving will begin Saturday morning through Saturday night and then after some hot food and good nights rest, we will be back in the water Sunday morning.

Looks like fun! Let us know how it goes.

spectrum:
Leah,
....I do find it helpful to be pouring warm water down my collar from time to time. I bring a "cooler" of 1/2 liter bottles of hot tapwater for this.

Pete
Leah,
you mentioned that you had a stove.
Another soucre of warm water --- we used a bailer to collect water from the tell tale of the outboard cooling system. That always went into out suits.

I alwyas keep a couple big trash bags in the dive box, handy for lots of things including keeping warm.

Cut a head hole, and arm holes and put it on like a poncho. Cuts the wind, retains heat, and you just wad it up and throw it away when you are done with it.

Tobin

It was an overcast day a few weeks ago here in Kentucky. In the quarry the first 20' of water was around 72deg. At around 35' it dropped to 68deg. After the dive, while I was getting my BC and gloves off, the wind caused the temp to drop to around 62deg (and below) - It was much warmer in the water. For me, I hopped in the car and turned on the heater, which didnt do awhole lot of good since I was still insulated with my wetsuit. But if I really needed to warm up, i'd probably start doing jumping jacks or exercising in my suit to reheat the layer of water, moisture (or urine for some) between the skin and suit - with a wetsuit on, reheating my skin from the inside out, might work better than from the outside in. Besides a good piping hot cup of cocoa wouldve been most welcome that day.

-----

Mike.

Tobin, that is an excellent idea. I have made myself a garbage bag suit more than one time. I really does work. I keep a roll on the truck for my dive potty liners (bucket lined with bag and another pail of clumping Fresh Step kitty litter to put on top of the deed), well this summer we has storm blow in it went from the mid 90's to mid 60's in just a short time with the rain storm. I was freezing and getting desperate and remembered my trash bags as I was shivering in the back of my truck. Even under the cap on the back of the truck, it was cold so out of desperation I put one over my torso like you said and the other like a sleeping bag over my lower half. Everyone was giving me a hard time until I stopped shivering and they were still cold. Shortly thereafter we were all suited up in black plastic. A good time was had by all.

Tobin, I have also been checking out your web site. That looks like a really solid rig at a decent price. I will send you a PM with some specific questions that I have. Perrone Ford here on Scubaboard sent me your direction. He has one of your wings and loves it.

leah:
Ber, how many btu's on your heater, what size surface tent and what outdoor temps are you facing and how warm you can get it in the tent with your setup and conditions? Just wondering if I have the right size heater.

I have a 10'x10' white EZUp tent like the ones you see at craft fairs and the 3000BTU Pro-Cat that has a small fan in it. I turn it on when I get to the site to give the tent time to warm up and I keep the tent zipped closed except when entering/exiting to help retain the warmth. It's cozy in there, I don't know the exact temp but probably low to mid 70's in 50 degrees, any colder than 50 degrees and I start my second heater (another 3000BTU Pro-Cat). The two of them take the chill off enough to change into dry clothes comfortably with outside temps cold enough to turn my wet hair into ice if I stood outside very long.

Hope that helps, maybe Notso_Ken would have a better idea of how warm and comfy the tent actually is since he's usually the one diving wet in the coldest weather :11: I always hear "It's nice in here!" from my students :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

I like the small propane heaters and a enclosed area just turn them on and let the tent warm while you dive. Either that or a nice warm camper would work also.

WarrenZ:
I like the small propane heaters and a enclosed area just turn them on and let the tent warm while you dive. Either that or a nice warm camper would work also.
Or a travel trailer, or a mobile home. They sell 2-story mobile homes in NC. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom