How do you keep your console/spg accessible and out of the way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Routed under my arm and attached to my left shoulder d-ring with a snapbolt. Cave Diver Style.... Anyone I see who routes it across the chest to the right side gets a firm talking to...

Last edited:
If you get your computer/bottom timer/compass onto your wrists, you won't be needing to be constantly looking at your SPG every few seconds, so you can clip it off someplace out of the way, such as the left hip D-ring.

Anyone I see who routes it across the chest to the right side gets a firm talking to...

Elaborate, please.

I see it as a pretty serious entanglement hazzard, and a barrier to ditching the rig effectively. I have had to remove gear from divers on the surface and the cross connecting the spg to the opposite side makes it darn near impossible..

Elaborate, please.

I follow the Hogarthian approach of clipping my SPG off at my left dring using a boltsnap. It was a little akward at first but now I have no problem clipping and unclipping. My depth gauge is my computer and I wear it on my wrist.

I also don't look at my SPG every 30 seconds. I look at it only every so often based on depth and dive time as reported by my computer. I look at it to validate that I have the gas that I expect to have at that point.

+1.

hang around a few experienced divers and you soon realise what a lemon you are if you have a console .

I see it as a pretty serious entanglement hazzard, and a barrier to ditching the rig effectively. I have had to remove gear from divers on the surface and the cross connecting the spg to the opposite side makes it darn near impossible..

Not trying to start a debate here, but my thinking differs. Entanglement-wise, snug across the chest seems much less likely to catch stuff (and easier to see and fix if it does catch) than an SPG or console clipped off on the left hip, which even with a short HP hose leaves more of a gap to snag things.

Rig removal-wise, sure it's one simple extra step, but the bolt snap is right there on the chest and you're already having to pause far longer than that to undo the waistbuckle. The long hose is also already crossing the chest in a similar, although opposite, manner...

It is an extra step when time matters the most.. And this a new diver forum, I doubt he is in a LH and BP/W.. (Even so, not an advisable configuration)

Rig removal-wise, sure it's one simple extra step, but the bolt snap is right there on the chest and you're already having to pause far longer than that to undo the waistbuckle. The long hose is also already crossing the chest in a similar, although opposite, manner...

Not trying to start a debate here, but my thinking differs. Entanglement-wise, snug across the chest seems much less likely to catch stuff (and easier to see and fix if it does catch) than an SPG or console clipped off on the left hip, which even with a short HP hose leaves more of a gap to snag things.

I'm trying to envision this in a useful manner - you are definitely going to pull the hose tighter and reduce the risk that you'd catch the hose on something, however from a practical perspective every time you're unclipping this, looking at it, and reclipping it you're risking trapping the long hose and making donation an issue.

I see this as a far greater risk than not being able to ditch gear.

Keeping the right side clean for donation is a pretty basic tenet. Given that the "entanglement risk" of the SPG on the left hip d-ring is easily mitigated by simply unclipping the boltsnap (or worst case, cutting the knot on your tie off) I see that as a far more appropriate placement of the SPG than anywhere in the neighborhood of your long hose.

I have a big console that I plastic clip tight across my chest to the BC. Easy access, compass use included. I use one of those clips that has 3 "slots" to stick the hose in. Hasn't ever come off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom