How do you know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the 1/6th rule for a certain certification level or is that SOP for all cave divers with doubles?

1_T_Submariner:
Is the 1/6th rule for a certain certification level or is that SOP for all cave divers with doubles?

only for intro cave divers

apprentice and full cave divers can dive to 1/3 of doubles

Andy, Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense. Kind of like a learners permit.

exactly like a learner's permit.

aquahump, actually there are many folks willing to dive with cave newbies. if you're staying at cathy's, ask around there. if you're hooked up at rennaker's, ask there. where ever you are, ask. the shops know who's available, who's willing, who's good. once you have a local buddy, they'll be glad to help you figure out what system to see.

i met a great buddy that way. that's how i met & dive with jeandiver!

i have to say jeandiver is a great asset to cave diving

she is so willing to share her time with others, much below her level (as myself) and dive with them ... and she's just a good, sweet person

i love jeandiver!!

AquaHump:
I leave tomorrow evening for FL to take my cavern and basic cave. I am very nerves about this class I have done my homework and checked all my gear. I have packed the truck and am ready to go.
IF and I mean if I pass this class I plan on staying a few days after and doing some cave diving. How do I know what caves to dive in? How do I know the difficulty level of the system?

Just ask. Your instructor, dive store staff, other divers you meet.
It is not just the difficulty of a cave per se but also the current cave conditions which have a huge bearing. Once again just ask around.

In my opinion Little River is one of the best caves for intro divers.

I agree with whoever it was that recommended the same caves you dive in training. NAy one of the systems commonly used during training have enough to see to keep you entertained for a LONG time.

Daedalus:
In my opinion Little River is one of the best caves for intro divers.
High flow, deep, diving 1/6ths does not equal much bottom time (I don't deny Little River is one sweet cave).

I say Peacock for several reasons:
Shallow so longer bottom times (more experience) since you are only allowed to use 1/6 of your gas.
Low flow so buoyancy and trim will not be masked by the flow.
Silty and low flow so kicks need to be good.
2 main passages to dive (I doubt a fresh intro diver will hit the T in Little River to be able to have the choice).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom