How do *YOU* O2 clean your tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, those of you who DIY or work at a shop: how do you O2 clean your tanks? I've been told at least two methods using two different cleaners (Blue Gold cleaner and Simple Green).

I've always used Blue Gold with glass beads. Don't forget the rust prevention stuff, not sure what its called.

I use the Simple Green. Sometimes, I'll throw in some media- either aluminum oxide pellets or some harder iron pellet (?), depending on the tank. My buddy has a DIY tank rolling stand so that I have both hands free to drink a beverage.

I skip the rust protection with both steel and aluminum. I usually use a DIY tank stand and a hair dryer with a special attachment to dry them, but I've been thinking about using tank air since I believe the dry air will remove moisture faster than the hair dryer. Just my unqualified opinion.

If I were smarter, I would figure out a way to steam them and then pump them with dry air. They should essentially dry instantly.

Simple Green for me.

I second the drying, and I thought a tumbler was a given. Wouldn't do to go without a beverage for all that time, would be hard work manually as well.

YMMV on the rust protector but the inside of a steel tank is not galvanized, I've seen 104s that were rented heavily (and had been treated) develop rust spots on the bottom. As soon as the tank reaches ambient pressure I believe it takes on water, the real motivator behind return with 500 psi perhaps? Save the cost of re-vip that some shops require for empty tanks :D Inattentive fillers can force water into the tank if they're not careful with wet gear too.

The rust protector is a quick splash and tumble if you choose to do so, properly rinsing the soap and properly drying after are important. DIE's stand for drying is along the lines of what we're using, two connections to allow a water hose for rinsing as well as the dryer are good too.

I was taught this:
2 capfulls of the blue gold cleaner, a couple of quarts of hot water, shake and twist the tank vigorously for one full minute.
Rinse thoroughly with hot water hose.
Let drain upside down for a few minutes.
Dry with 30 seconds of compressed air from the fill station blow hose.
Check with the light to be sure it is dry.

do it easy:
. . .so that I have both hands free to drink a beverage.
I've noticed all your DIY projects have this requirement. :D
Good Man.

Simple Green. Note: Stay away from their super-duper "no rinse" formulation - I talked to them at Oshkosh last year and the stuff is "mildly toxic". Can't imagine what high PPMildlyToxic would do to one.....

Some folks complain about Simple Green leaving an aftertaste in the tanks. I've never noticed it and can only figure they are not following the protcol (ineffective rinse).

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom