How do you pay for SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the past few months, as I've been doing research and reading the board, I've noticed how truly expensive the "sport" of scuba diving could be. If you factor in certification, gear, entrance fees, tank fills, traveling, boat purchase, so on and so forth, this can be quite demanding on one's wallet. I'm just curious what everyone does IE your Job, that makes it so they can go diving? I know that its listed in your profile, but I figured this would be a cool thread that would help me get to know other board members better.

I'm an 11B (Infantryman) in the US Army. 101st Airborne, Ft Campbell Ky. Been in for 6 years now.

Hi,

I'm in F-16 Crew Chief in the U.S. Air Force. I've been in since 1988 where I started as a Structural Repair Technician on C-141 and C-130 aircraft.

I finally got certified after talking about it for years. I went to Key West, snorkeled, and came home and got certified. I went my first two years or so with only a few dives when I went on vacation. I got a buddy certified and the diving started to pick up. The past two summers I've been deployed so that has cut into my diving a little. I've recently been Nitrox and Rescue Diver certed. I'm now moving into the beginning Tech courses. The cost wasn't bad at first but i've already dropped $3500 this year alone. My wife is pretty understanding, at least until she finds out :D I figure I have about $10000 invested so far. To tell you the truth I really don't know how I afford it. Actually just writing this is starting to bum me out...

I am a junior high school teacher but teach EFR and Red Cross courses to fund my underwater habit. I wanted to dive for years prior to taking the plunge.

I'm just a poor college kid this year and occasionally get paid for t-shirt orders. I design and print t-shirts on the side. I don't make very much money at all really but somehow I find a way to pay for SCUBA. I just pay for SCUBA first and if I have money for good food then that's great or for dates cool, but otherwise I just do without. SCUBA is so rewarding it's completely worth it to me even I've worn the same pair of jeans every day for the past two years. :wink:

You'll see what I mean.

Right now. . . I don't dive . . . The desert is hard to dive in. . . So I am saving all my pennies uncle sam is giving me. . .

I'm an engineering student, with one semester to go. Fortunetly I manage to find paid internships on the off semesters. In addition to that I work part time at a bicycle store since high school, and I am working towards my DM with my shop, so I get free air, and discounted prices on gear and charters.

LetterBoy:
Right now. . . I don't dive . . . The desert is hard to dive in. . . So I am saving all my pennies uncle sam is giving me. . .

Just an aside- thanks for what you do over there.....from a USAF vet....
:D

[hijack]
TXScubaBear:
Just an aside- thanks for what you do over there.....from a USAF vet....
:D

Thank you, I am but a tiny cog in a huge wheel. . . [/hijack]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom