How do you pay for SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packed up my $h**t and moved to West Palm Beach. $2000
Bought a boat. $5000
Got to be really good friends with a dive shop owner. Air fills $0

Diving whenever, and wherever I want...priceless.

fishboots:
Packed up my $h**t and moved to West Palm Beach. $2000
Bought a boat. $5000
Got to be really good friends with a dive shop owner. Air fills $0

Diving whenever, and wherever I want...priceless.

You're gonna make me cry. If I knew then what I know now I could have been your neighbor :D

almitywife:
hubby system is this, he tells me something will only cost $280 but it isnt until tax time do i find out he actually spent $680 and by that time its months later so what can i do or say?

ive just completed hubbys taxes for the year. all up inc dive trips, insurance, training, new equipment, flights, camera gear, rebreather ect.... $25,806.00AUD for 1 year!

explains why we have leaky gutters!

And you tell me you can't afford to dive in the Coral Sea??????

To make ends meet, I'm an accountant. I'm also a dive instructor. The first paid for the gear, the second gets me discounts on dive gear, and pays part of the bar tab after a day of teaching.

I'm single, but I have been told that the most expensive part of diving is the divorce. Many who avoid the divorce say "If I die, please don't let my wife sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

When I train our men and women in uniform, firefighters and cops, I charge what it takes for me to break even. These are people who work long hours for little pay protecting me, and I do appreciate it. It may be that someone in your area feels the same way.

Well while a "couple thousand" dollars may be nothin to some, I don't make anywhere near enough for that. spending 25 thousand dollars in 1 year on diving... I barely make that in a year. I'm actually looking forward to going to afghanistan this spring just so I'll be able to save enough money to buy gear. Hopefully I'll be able to do the whole "move to florida, buy a boat, dive all I want" scenerio. But for now, I'll just have to do with the quarry and rental gear.

I feel your pain, BeachJunkie, and I can relate!!! While I do own my own gear FINALLY, after 10 or more years of certification before I bought some of it....nearly all of it was second hand gear. And, yes, from reliable sources and I DID get it all serviced prior to use. Saved me, literally, hundreds (if not thousands).

I wait tables to fund my scuba habit. It's also a good lesson in stress management, which I guess could relate to helping in any underwater problems. Pizza delivery in this college town pays more, but I don't want to go through another car.

I do get crap for paying for gear, entrance fees, etc. with lots of small bills. :)

--Shannon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom