How do you rinse your scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I do when at home is, I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel cut in half. I assemble tank and reg, turn on the air and dunk it in. This not only cleans it, but gives me a way to look for any air leaks. I leave the hose running, and everything goes in the barrel. As I have to handle everything, I am constantly giving everything a once over.

Then, everything is hung up to dry out of the sun.

So far it has worked for me.

My earlier post was not entirely a joke, I've gone long periods of time without washing my gear in freshwater. That was when I able to dive very often. Never had any problems with the gear, maybe the zippers on some of the bags and cases. However, I do see the sense in a through cleansing. The Oceanographic Instruments I use at work never go through a day of use without a good washdown and possible soaking. Right now, my wife and I are getting the dock refurbished, and I then plan to install a tub like DMDavid posted and erect a heavy duty "chinning bar" to hang the gear.

My earlier post was not entirely a joke, I've gone long periods of time without washing my gear in freshwater.

It must depend on your climate as well.

After a few hours in the car getting back home the dive gear is smelling pretty damn ripe here. It needs a good wash assuming you don't want everyone jumping off the boat when you pull your gear out.

I'm a big fan of a lot of water to was the salt off. I've seen the hire gear that's dunked into water tanks for 10 seconds. I wouldn't use it if my life depended on it.

It must depend on your climate as well.

After a few hours in the car getting back home the dive gear is smelling pretty damn ripe here. It needs a good wash assuming you don't want everyone jumping off the boat when you pull your gear out.

I'm a big fan of a lot of water to was the salt off. I've seen the hire gear that's dunked into water tanks for 10 seconds. I wouldn't use it if my life depended on it.

I do know that smell.... in an ideal world, the gear would never get a chance to dry.

I'm a bit anal....

1. Dump all the gear except BP/W in a bucket and soak for a while.
2. Remove the gear and hang up to dry, out of the sun. Dry what I can with a towel.
3. Disassemble the BP/W and soak in clean water. Rinse out the wing and inflator hose.
4. Soak regulators, compass and dive-computer in lukewarm water. Disassemble the regulators, rinse and dry.
5. Connect regulators to tank and blowout any water.
6. Reassemble the BP/W.
7. Store everything in bin and hang the wetsuit.

It all goes in the bathtub. One of these years I'll get the plastic trashcan so I don't have to carry dripping dive gear down the hall,through the kitchen and out the door. Then every thing gets hung on the track of the garage door. I'll get a bar somewhere in the garage soon for that too.

Yep - soon may be a long time. I've been in that house for 6 years.

This has worked well since the 1970's for me:

1. Keep gear wet until all ocean diving is done.
2. Once home, rinse, soak overnight, rinse.... then finally let it dry.

As already noted, it is the salt water drying that causes problems.... keep it wet, you are fine (within reason of course, but for several days worth of diving this has always worked for me).

I guess if I could just dive enough to keep it constantly wet, I'd never need to wash it, and I'd be a happy camper :D

Best wishes.

Believe it or not, I got the tank at a local garden supply store where they sell Koi. I saw an empty tank and asked if it was for sale. Looks a lot like the tank in DMDavid's post, but with a more square profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom