How do you tote your tanks??? Getting the cart before the dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The problem with Scuba is that we have a lot of gear to haul around. Of course, the heaviest part of our kit are our tanks. I have personally tried a number of different transports for tanks and I've yet to find one that works for me... until today. I took a really cheap dolly, cut off the axle and re-configured it to work for me. Here's a pic:

CylinderCart.jpg

full

NetDoc's Cylinder Cart

full

I ordered two 1" long pieces of 10" steel tube, two 4"x6"x0.188 plate, one 27"x0.500" axle, one 1"x48"x0.125" flat stock from SpeedyMetals and two 24" wheels from Amazon. I can hardly wait to try it out the next time I have to carry tanks a long distance.

So, what do you use and why? What have you tried that worked or almost worked? Anything that just outright failed?

usually just put my tanks on my back and carry them where they need to go, usually the boat. then back to the car for the rest of the kit.

The older I get, the more help I need and especially with steel tanks. Once I'm in the water, everything is fine, but up until then.

When we were diving Marineland every weekend I needed something to haul two sets of gear down the trail. Ask Elena about Marineland. :)
DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

trail.jpg

... I took a really cheap dolly, cut off the axle and re-configured it to work for me. Here's a pic: ...

Pic downloaded and sent to my son to forward on to his welding buddies.

Pic downloaded and sent to my son to forward on to his welding buddies.
It came out fairly light too. I have drilled 1/8" holes on the outer part of each axle for banana clips. That way, I can easily pull the wheels for easy packing. I am adding two neck bungees to stabilize the tanks. I've already got them cut and singed, I just forgot to put them on for the picture.

One more clarification, I cut two 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe to act as axle spacers for the wheels. I think they were about 3.25" long so the wheel does not hit the cart.

The problem with Scuba is that we have a lot of gear to haul around. Of course, the heaviest part of our kit are our tanks. I have personally tried a number of different transports for tanks and I've yet to find one that works for me... until today. I took a really cheap dolly, cut off the axle and re-configured it to work for me. Here's a pic:

CylinderCart.jpg

NetDoc's Cylinder Cart

I ordered two 1" long pieces of 10" steel tube, two 4"x6"x0.250" plate, one 27"x0.050" axle, one 1"x48"x0.125" flat stock from SpeedyMetals and two 24" wheels from Amazon. I can hardly wait to try it out the next time I have to carry tanks a long distance.

So, what do you use and why? What have you tried that worked or almost worked? Anything that just outright failed?

Very nice, but how many of us have a TIG welder (and know how to work with stainless) ?

We use a Foldit Cart. Kind of pricy but it doesn't take up much space when folded and hauls 3 scuba units and most of the weights. It is really saltwater proof with plastic bearings on the wheels. If I had it to do again I'd order it with the foam filled tires. I mounted a little bicycle tire pump to it so I could pump them up after months of storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom