How do you transport your gear? Car/truck/C-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a friend here in Curacao that has a Matrix. We once got three people, 9 tanks, 3 sets of gear, and the spare bag all in the car pretty much the way g1138 described it. Actually without too much of a problem. Although we weren't packing any camping gear along with it.

This works for us.

The essentials for 1 also fit well in a Subaru Outback wagon with the back seat folded down. That has a similar rubber mat.

Pete

Boeing 737 and a rental car.

Meet my divemobile ... a Honda Element ...

CIMG5356.jpg

A word of caution, however, that I learned the hard way ... the Element has a payload of only about 750 lbs. In the above picture, I had three divers, and all our equipment for a weeklong trip in Port Hardy (about 450 miles away) ... probably 1500 lbs.

Exceeding the payload shortens the life of the engine ... I had to replace mine at only 143,000 miles.

Other than that, it's been the perfect dive vehicle (which is why it was worth replacing the engine).

If I were to be purchasing a car today, I'd take a long and serious look at the Subaru Forester ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mostly American Airlines :D but on those rare occasions when I'm talked into diving locally then my Jeep Wrangler with the back seat folded down works nicely. If I had to really pack it in, then I'd take the back seat out altogether but it's a two-person job and kind of a hassle.

Total capacity actually used on my vehicles:
Mercedes clk230: 8 tanks al80's, 4 full sets of gear, 2 people, 1 cooler, dry bags.

Jeep Cherokee: 21 al80 tanks, 10 sets of gear, cooler, 3 cases softies & water, 1st aid kit, dry bags, 2 people.

Jeep Wrangler: back seat removed, 8 tanks, 4 sets of gear, cooler, dry bags.

All will hold that regularly. The Jeep Cherokee is the shop Jeep and does this run 5 times a week, with tank moving throughout the week in the middle of it all. The Cherokee is tough as nails.

If you are going to want to put in 8 tanks, gear, and divers, you are going to need more than a car. You will exceed the payload of just about any car very quickly. By exceeding the payload capacity you are pushing the limits of the engine and transmission. I drive a Silverado 1500 that I have the payload to carry enough gear for as many divers as I can seat.(which is legally 3)

I second Bob and TS&M on the Element. My wife owns one and I've used it for semi-local dive outings. No carpets, the rubber mats lift out, both rear seats can be flattened up against the sides or removed completely from the car. Good height for gearing up on all sides, too. We had a Forester, which was smaller, but it had better sightlines than the Element when driving.

And oddly enough, I think that's the same model truck as mine in the picture from Bob above . . .

-Bryan

PS. Our best river sites are in National Forest country with rudimentary to no roads. I sometimes joke that the best vehicle for local diving would be a helicopter.

I use a smart car. It takes the rebreather, drysuit, bailout cylinder and all the other bits that go with it. There's room for an occasional spare cylinder or tub of sofnolime. Not much room for a buddy

Colin

car_photo_213237_7.jpg

I drive a pickup truck so everything goes in the bed easily. I also have a bed cover so luggage and such can stay dry too.

For you folks cramming all that dive gear into tiny cars, my hat is off to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom