How do you transport your gear? Car/truck/C-130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck34gboro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I couldn't decide which forum to post this in so I guess it will go here.

The question is what do you drive to and from dive spots? We've gotten by with just compact cars for the most part but I now own alot more stuff and when you have to take all your air with you to a quarry, well, tanks take up alot of room. I see alot of people with pickup trucks but I'd prefer something FWD that I could drive daily all year and not worry so much about winter weather.

My wife has an 06 Corolla XRS and its pretty much the same as a Matrix and they have plenty of space in the "boot." I'm attatching a pic. If anybody owns one, could i fit 8 AL80's in the back with gear for 2? The pics seem like its water proof/resistant.

Or any other ideas?

Attachments

• matrixhatch.jpg
    matrixhatch.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 630
8 tanks? How many do you take down on one dive? Or are you planning on 4 dives in one day?

I think the best way to find out would be to just try. If you're renting tanks just go to the dive shop with all your gear and tell them your situation. Try loading up 8 tanks with your gear. If it doesn't fit then take 6, if not that take 4. Finish the paper work after you have everything loaded.

In any case as a comparison, I've driven my Subaru Baja to dives sites with 2 buddies once. The trunks probably the same dimension as your car's, except half the height.

I was able to pack 6 tanks stacked (5 St 72's and 1 HP 120) along with 2 travel roller dive bags, and a large backpack meshbag into the back of the trunk and even latch the hardcover over it.
All our dry gear went into the back seat with one unlucky soul.
Suspension looked great too, wish I could say the same about the acceleration and brakes though.

I own the tanks and yes 8 would be for 4 dives in a day or weekend if we camp/sleep in the car.

4 dives in a day? Dude that's hardcore xD

What are you waiting for then? Try it out.

I would suggest laying the tanks flat with the valves pointing towards the front or to the side.
Use ratchet or bungee tie downs to tie the tanks together and then use your weights to keep the tanks from rolling or sliding even further. Stack your gear on top of the tanks or stack your tanks against the back of the passenger seat and place your gear closer to the trunk door (great tie downs are important for the latter set up).
Just make sure your tanks are below the window line.

I bought a Honda Fit a year ago, after extensive research into hatchbacks. I bought it because it has not only plenty of room in the back, but the seats lay down flat. Not at a slight angle, flat. Makes it perfect for hauling gear.

I went to Home Depot or Lowes, forget which, and bought two industrial door mats, then trimmed them to fit my car nearly perfectly, to protect the interior. As long as I don't pour water inside, it keeps the interior pretty dry.

Tanks are laid down parallel with the car, so they don't go rolling back and forth when I slow down or speed up, and valves can really face either way, doesn't matter much. If possible, throw a strap over them to help keep them from moving much in an accident--run a strap underneath the folded down seats. Stays out of the way, and provides hook points for a strap you run on top for moving.

Then, other gear fits in Rubbermaid (or similar) tubs, that can be put directly on top of the tanks. I tend to carry 4-5 tanks, more tanks than that would have to be stacked on top like a pyramid, making the bins sit higher and less stable, so your mileage may vary, no pun intended. This set up leaves space in the back for more bins and gear.

I love, love, love my Honda Fit. I can easily carry enough gear--one set of doubles, two stages, and o2, for two divers (so, two doubles, four stages, two o2 bottles) and all the other necessaries (drysuits, backplate and wing, tons of regulators) and still get 35mpg or more sticking to the speed limit on the highway. I've carried gear for one diver and two full size scooters (a Silent Submersion 26 and a Gavin regular body), I've slept in the back, I've moved my entire bedroom in only two trips, it's an incredible car. The flat folding back seats make all the difference in the world, and it seemed to me when doing my research that most hatchbacks do not have seats that fold perfectly flat.

So, get some welcome mats, trim to fit, a few straps to mitigate damage in an accident, and a few rubbermaid bins, and you are well on your way to enjoying Hatchback Diving at it's finest!

I cant try it out, i don't own a matrix hatchback. my wife has a corolla with a regular trunk. we've had all our gear plus 2 tanks or all 8 tanks with no gear; never everything at once. It doesn't appear that it will all fit which is why i'm looking for something else. I need to replace my daily driver so i thought, why not get something that all our stuff will fit in. i could probably buy my father-in-laws tacoma with a camper but i don't wanna drive a truck every day. Although, surely we could take everything including the kitchen sink.

Oh gotcha, I didn't know it wasn't the hatchback version.
I think you could definitely do it, but one set of gear may have to go in the back seat.
If your packing skills are stellar I'm sure you'll be able to fit it all in the trunk.

What type of tanks are you carrying? What type of exposure protection and BC's?

You can fit eight tanks in the car but it might get a bit crowded when you go to set up the tent and sleeping bags!!! :D

I have an Audi A4 Avant station wagon. It's AWD and has a low profile to the wind, and is a reasonably good snow car. I can fit gear and tanks for two people for two dives in it easily; I think 8 tanks would work, but you'd have to make them the bottom layer, and put everything else on top.

The A4 Avant isn't made any more, but it's basically the same car as the Volkswagen station wagon, although it does not ride the same. The VW is a little more spacious, too.

Another car to consider is the Honda Element. I believe it comes in an AWD version, and I can tell you, you can pack an AMAZING amount of dive gear into one of those things.

Apart from two company vehicles both station wagons (Camry and Volvo V70) all of my own vehicles have always been 4x4s.

I once packed a SWB Pajero with 16 tanks and two sets of dive gear for me and buddy to go exploring down the southern end of Saudi as well as three housings and assorted camera gear.

Currently driving Land Rovers these days and I have always found the Discovery a hardy vehicle for hauling gear around, although the new LR3/4 has a tailgate that I don't particularly like as I am not very tall to reach in and haul things out.

Attachments

• GSS_0653B.jpg
    GSS_0653B.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_6745bb.jpg
    DSC_6745bb.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 218
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom