How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

How do you wear your mask?

• Around neck

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Forehead

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Backwards

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Arm/Clip/Other

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Head? Neck? Backwards?

Inquiering minds want to know!

I have a clip attached to my left BC strap where I 'hang' my mask when not in use. I have found it very handy - and more comfortable than around my neck.

I pull it off and hold it in my hand. If still on the boat I set it down.

Tom

I wear mine usually on my forehead. I really don't see why some people have a problem with it.. I read on this board recently that some see it as a sign of distress. I had never heard that before, and think it's kinda silly. I *constantly* see divers with their masks on their foreheads... if it was ever "supposed to be" a sign of distress or trouble, it's not anymore.

If I'm just hanging around in the water, waiting for buddies to get in or something, I'll put it backwards since it's more comfortable. But when doing long surface swims, where I want to be able to put it on quickly, it stays on my forehead.

It NEVER goes around my neck. I've got my backup regulator there, so it might get scratched (which I try hard to avoid). It also just feels much more in the way when I can't bend my neck down because there's a big mask in the way.

I'd be too prone to lose it if I took it off.

I learned while diving in Aruba why my instructor told me to NEVER put it on my forehead. Waiting near the platform for others to board, a larger wave came from behind, and my mask was gone. A DM who had stayed on surface went and retrieved it for me when we were all back on board.

I wear my backup on a necklace and have never gotten a scratch by my reg.

SS

Until I'm ready to get in the water, it's backwards on my head. I know where it is, and don't have to worry about someone setting a tank down on it, stepping on it, etc. and it's handy in case of a sudden emergency. I put it on just before entering the water and don't remove it until I'm out of the water, ie. back on the boat. Unless I have a longish surface swim, then it goes back on my head backwards.

jonnythan once bubbled...
I wear mine usually on my forehead. I really don't see why some people have a problem with it.. I read on this board recently that some see it as a sign of distress. I had never heard that before, and think it's kinda silly. I *constantly* see divers with their masks on their foreheads... if it was ever "supposed to be" a sign of distress or trouble, it's not anymore.

:glasses: I hear ya! I do the same thing (put em on my forehead). When I was getting certified my instructor got on me constantly about that, because it is a sign of distress. At the end of the class, he told me I owed him about 25 cokes for doing that as much as I did. I guess it's just an old swim team habit that I can't break. It just feels comfortable for me to push them up on my forehead. And I've never had any divemasters yell at me for doing so when out on a dive. And, same as you, I also see alot of divers doing the same thing.
The one time I took them off and tried to wrap them around my arm I lost them. :sigh:
Amber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom