How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

How do you wear your mask?

• Around neck

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Forehead

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Backwards

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Arm/Clip/Other

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

I don't. :D I store it with my gear.

When using it I wear it on my face covering my eyes and nose, or around my neck. Neck is probably the safest place to keep from loosing it in any condition, specially surf, chop or whatever, aside from attaching it to your BC, and that another set of issues.

Tom,

How many masks did you go thru before you got the hang of holding it in your hand? Or do you just put a different mask in your hand every dive? :)

Peter

If I'm surface swimming on my back then usually around my neck because I worry about it slipping off and getting lost, otherwise on land or getting my fins on in the shallows then I wear it on my head backwards.

Scuba once bubbled...
Tom,

How many masks did you go thru before you got the hang of holding it in your hand? Or do you just put a different mask in your hand every dive? :)

Peter

Maybe I've been lucky, never lost one that way. Lost one on a backroll entry once but buddy caught it and saved the day.

Tom

just hold it and sometimes clip it at the chest strap...

Rich :mean:

If I am on a boat it usualy stays on my face while I'm in the water. When I get back on the boat I usualy tuck it inside my fins whick then get hooked to a D-Ring. If I am at the quarry I tuck them in my fins for the walk into the water then put them up on my arm while I put my fins on.

Oh yeah, we were yelled at for putting them on our forehead as well. Said it was a sign of distress, although if I am in trouble you will have more signs from me then my mask on my head.

Ty

I haven't had a problem with it falling off, but it's slightly more trouble than I care to go through getting it centered right on my hood with the snorkle attached. Once it's on, I'm leaving the strap where it is unless I have to move or replace it.

My first instructor, who was a Marine diver, was very adamant about where your mask was. So if you weren't using it, and had it perched atop your head, he would make you take it off and throw it far away. (You then had to retrieve...)

Similarly, if you left a cylinder standing on the pool deck, you owed him a six pack.

Since then, I've kept the mask around my neck and have not left a standing cylinder unsecured.

Around the neck, but sometimes I feel it may be easier to have it backwards on my head. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I mostly wear it around the neck, but sometimes I'll take it off and hold it in my hands.

My instructor was adamant about two things: don't wear your mask on your forehead and don't leave a tank standing unsecured. During our classes, either infraction would result in a case of liquid beverage (water or soft drinks .... no beer) being owed to the instructor and divemasters.

His reasoning for the mask on forehead is, as others have pointed out, one of the indications of a diver in distress.

I think it's a good rule, even though I wish I could put the mask on the forehead as it is an easy place to put it.

Now if only someone would come up with a folding mask that you could stuff into your pocket when not in use .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom