How do you wear your mask when your not using it?

How do you wear your mask?

• Around neck

Votes: 60 51.7%
  • Forehead

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • Backwards

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Arm/Clip/Other

Votes: 13 11.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have mine on my face from the time I get into the water, till the time the dive is over. When the dive is over, it comes down around my neck. If I am in the water waiting for other divers to enter, and I have my mask anywhere else than on my face at the start of the dive. My mask almost always fogs up. I suppose its because any anti-fog I put on, will be washed off while bobbing in the water waiting. Besides, I feel comfortable with my mask on, so on it stays.

I wear it around my neck...less chance of losing it accidentally and watching it sink down to the bottom.

I used to wear it on my forehead...then I watched one of my friends accidentally knock his $100+ mask/snorkel off of his head and lose it in 80 feet of water in a quarry.

Unbelievably, we found it this year and it was ok after soaking in a mild bleach solution.

Still...I'd rather not risk it. Just my personal preference.

Thats amazing you found it after all that time!
I suppose its amazing finding it same day too!

I am impressed it still was ok

MissAmberDiva once bubbled...

:glasses: I hear ya! I do the same thing (put em on my forehead). When I was getting certified my instructor got on me constantly about that, because it is a sign of distress. At the end of the class, he told me I owed him about 25 cokes for doing that as much as I did. I guess it's just an old swim team habit that I can't break. It just feels comfortable for me to push them up on my forehead. And I've never had any divemasters yell at me for doing so when out on a dive. And, same as you, I also see alot of divers doing the same thing.
The one time I took them off and tried to wrap them around my arm I lost them. :sigh:
Amber

I to had the old swim team habit to push it up on my forehead, but the way I look at it is this....it doesn't matter if I think it's a valid sign of distress (ie something I would do in distress)...it is a recognized sign....so why would I give any one a reason to think I might be in distress when I really just don't want to break my bad habit?

No matter what I want it to mean, a mask on the forhead is one way to communicate distress.

I now just push it down instead of up, and it sits around my neck.

Peace,
Cathie

It's either on my face, or off completely. I find it too distracting around my neck, and it fogs up resting on my forehead or on backwards.

Marc

mndolphin once bubbled...
Thats amazing you found it after all that time!
I suppose its amazing finding it same day too!

I am impressed it still was ok

It was pretty funny - you could actually hear him go "Holy s***!" underwater...hehe.

On my my forehead of course. Someone once told me I shouldn't, but I never understood why :confused: so I do it anyway.

Before I scubaed I skiied and I wore my ski goggles on my forehead when I didn't need them so it was just natural to push the mask up there too when I started diving. :)

So is it really a sign of distress???? I've heard differing opinions here. If I was in distress I can guarantee I'd have a better way of showing it that putting my mask on my forehead! :scared:

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
HUH? English please.
wear for were
never for very
and a . for a ,
and The r for R
and a ? for a .

Oh, and add a ? at the end of the rhetorical question.

There, you should be able to make it out now.

But I still can't figure out why he was told to wear it around your neck. :rolleyes:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

wear for were
never for very
and a . for a ,
and The r for R
and a ? for a .

Oh, and add a ? at the end of the rhetorical question.

There, you should be able to make it out now.

Ahh...I am seeing the light!

But I still can't figure out why he was told to wear it around your neck. :rolleyes:

I think that that would be mighty uncomfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom