How does a DIN cylinder work ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see in my 2005 OW manual that the workings of DIN is covered. The instructor as well as mine in '05 and those I later assisted most likely didn't talk about it because no one here that I've seen uses DIN, so it's easy to forget about.
When I used to use the traditional classroom for PADI OW rather than eLearning, I always made a point to show students a DIN connection during review of Knowledge Reviews before getting to the quizzes and tests. Otherwise, very high rate of incorrect answers on that one question. Seems no one really picks up on the DIN versus yoke when doing the coursework. So now I show a DIN during the first hands-on gear assembly, since I figure eLearning didn't register with them any better than the book & video.

When I used to use the traditional classroom for PADI OW rather than eLearning, I always made a point to show students a DIN connection during review of Knowledge Reviews before getting to the quizzes and tests. Otherwise, very high rate of incorrect answers on that one question. Seems no one really picks up on the DIN versus yoke when doing the coursework. So now I show a DIN during the first hands-on gear assembly, since I figure eLearning didn't register with them any better than the book & video.
That makes sense. It's good to know, as no knowledge is bad knowledge. Of course I also studied all the benefits of DIN during the DM course. If I were ever to use it I would have to re-study or be shown how to hook it up.

Having used gas welding equipment since the 1970s and its regulator to cylinder / tank fitting being very similar to DIN its difficult to understand why anyone uses any other system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom