How does he hold his breath for 22 minutes ? !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also curious how this works. I thought hyperventilation only decreases CO2 in blood, but does not do much to increase O2 dissolved in it, hence the risk of shallow water blackout. What exactly is pre-breathing 100% O2 doing to the body?

I am also curious how this works. I thought hyperventilation only decreases CO2 in blood, but does not do much to increase O2 dissolved in it, hence the risk of shallow water blackout. What exactly is pre-breathing 100% O2 doing to the body?

It puts about 5x more Oxygen in the lungs plus a small increase in the blood. CO2 buildup won’t change but it has a much slower effect on consciousness than low O2.

Is there a medical doctor who can comment on how this might affect brain cells?

I don't believe there is enough research on prolonged conscious apnea of such extreme durations as described here - simply not enough cases. But the educated assumption and inference from analogous cases of hypoxia is that the way it affects brain cells is in a very bad way.... :) The problem is that outside a massive injury (possible as well), the effects would be insidious. I would venture a guess that if you do this consistently for many years there is a high chance of developing dementia over time. I'll look this up more, you made me curious. There might be some papers out there from hyperbaric rescue centers.
When done with slow progressive training, there is evidence of adaptation of the breathing system and of the blood function. But I have not seen anything addressing such extreme prolonged hypoxia. I think you're taking on a significant amount of risk if you do this...

Last edited:
I agree, rocdoc. I do not understand why people even think of attempting these feats. I rarely hold my breath one minute... and that's only when a beautiful lady-go-diver walks by. Seriously, I guess I'm just old enough now to realize I may be mortal.

I don't know enough about biology to say anything with any authority but 22 minutes sounds quite ridiculous. Pre-breathing pure oxygen makes it a bit more plausible but then it's not exactly normal breath-holding is it LOL :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom