How dry is your semi-dry?

How dry is your semi-dry?

• Outer limbs wet (up to elbows & knees)

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Limbs wet (entire arms & legs)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Limbs and some torso

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • All of me gets wet dummy

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using a mares isotherm semidry this last season; usually I am very happy with it. The weekend after Thanksgiving I had it out (northern IN, 36F air, 38F water) and was fine - that was a shallow dive though. I've noticed it feels a little cold at 120' in 40F water - I'm guessing that is due to neoprene compressing & not insulating so well. Because of that I'll be moving to a dry suit next season.

crpntr133 - I'll be interested to hear what yours is like in BonneTerre... I was content there in a basic 7mil neoprene: next time I go there I may be diving dry.

fishfood - I haven't had to deal with a squeeze on mine. What part of your friend's anatomy is involed - joint? stomach? Mine fits pretty closely - I'm right on the edge between sizes.

I have heard of guys having to burp their suits so they could get down but never a squeeze. Mine is big in the stocach and crotch area and I have never had a problem with squeeze.

I dive a Mares Isotherm. When it was new, it did not leak at all and I got squeezed enough to cause black and blue marks. After about 30 dives it started leaking in a couple of places but I never get much water in, just damp.

I appreciate al these insightfull comments, particularly the squeeze aspect.
Trying to decide if I should wear a T-shirt when my suit comes in. Thank you.

IceDiverInCA:
Any comment on peeing in a semi-dry suit? Are there any options?
The options are to pee or not to pee :wink:
Since the water circulation is reduced, it means that you'll spend the rest of the dive swimming mainly in your own pee.
The choice is yours :D

IceDiverInCA:
Any comment on peeing in a semi-dry suit? Are there any options?
I've read a couple of threads in which pee valves were mentioned. Seems especially commercial divers use a catheter set up.
Do a search. Not that I feel my searches are too successful, way more noise than useful results.

Tom

I always have to burp my semi-dry. If you'd don't burp an isotherm, you'll have to wear a log more weight, Squeeze has been a problem once or twice, but not usually.

What is the best way to burp it?
Besides holding it close to your shoulder and patting :07:

I wear a skin under my semi-dry so that the semi-dry will be easier to put on. The skin is always wet after I dive, so enough water clearly enters to soak the skin. But there is very little water circulation and it's just a process of seepage during the course of the dive. I agree with what other said that the semi-dry suit is really just another wetsuit with better seals to minimize the water flow....

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom