How early is too early?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When does the dive season start on the wrecks off of NC? Was thinking of taking a trip down in April. Temps at depth? How many trips go out? Sea conditions? Thanks in advance

I like to go to NC late May early June. The water temps then are about 68-72F, as the gulf stream is pushing clear warm water past the coast. Weather is the big enemy in NC, vis can go from a respectable 40-50 feet to less than 10' if the weather turns bad. The 1st time I went there we dove everyday and had vis from 40-100 feet depending on the site. The closer to shore the site, generally the less vis. Wrecks 25-30+ miles offshore have the best vis. The last time I went the weather was so bad some dives were cancelled and money returned. The vis was so bad I thought I was back in RI!

If you hit it good you'll be captive by NC diving and want to go as often as possible. Good luck enjoy your trip.

A group of friends of mine from Maine made the trip (driving) a couple years ago, never got a single dive in. :eek:

I would think 55 to 60 degrees would be warm enough for a wetsuit.

They dive all Winter in Boston Harbor with dry suits and water temps around 35!

Back
Top Bottom