How easy we forget our basics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can ya grab a copy of that book I qouted and do some reading?

There's lots more hand-signs you could probably use too.

Beats the hell out of carry a slate with a "Top 5" things you think you might want to say around, and making up your own signs that odds are good the next poor sap isn't going to know either.

I have to ask Don, why does it seem you're always trying to do things the hard way?

Scuba_Steve:
Can ya grab a copy of that book I qouted and do some reading?
Oh, no thanks - not something I could find to look at in my circles and it's out of my scope at this time.
There's lots more hand-signs you could probably use too.

Beats the hell out of carry a slate with a "Top 5" things you think you might want to say around, and making up your own signs that odds are good the next poor sap isn't going to know either.

I have to ask Don, why does it seem you're always trying to do things the hard way?
Your perception, I suppose. I got the hand signals for air from my TDI Inst I think.

DandyDon:
Oh, no thanks - not something I could find to look at in my circles and it's out of my scope at this time.
Your perception, I suppose. I got the hand signals for air from my TDI Inst I think.

I've never saw any hand signals that are even close to that in any TDI manual I have...But I do have one where they show the mask strap being a good location to carry a z-knife, so anything is possible I suppose...
I know one thing, if I was getting on a dive boat and had an insta-buddy start trying to explain that system of yours to me, I'd be calling the dive at the dock...It would never happen anyway because I can count the number of people I would dive with on one hand...

angry-smiley-036.gif
Ok - fine - guess it'd be good to ask the boat-pick buddy how he wants to do signals. Maybe he'll show me his cave diving book.
laughing-smiley-005.gif

Most of these hand signs mentioned here are no good when you are cold and wearing three-finger gloves. Just show the gauge! And if you - like me - are useing an air integrated computer show you body(ies) on the surfface where your pressure indicator is located on the display. Furthermore, how would you relate to a diver like me having a read-out in bars and not in psi??

We would definatly have to do some top-side conversation first!

Now the glove thing.

Don't wear lobster gloves :)

bar-psi, the same hand-signs, just decide before you go.

Hmmm your TDI Instructor taught you this Don?

Now it's clear.

Leftwinger16:
I know one thing, if I was getting on a dive boat and had an insta-buddy start trying to explain that system of yours to me, I'd be calling the dive at the dock...It would never happen anyway because I can count the number of people I would dive with on one hand...

Even with lobster mits on :D

Thanks for the links to the comm's book Paul, that's what I'm talking about. This stuff should be standard fare.

Here you go Don. (see attached) Let your instructor buddy know that he should be teaching stuff that at least has a chance of being known such as these universal signs.

bar-psi, the same hand-signs, just decide before you go.
Just don't offer my suggestions, huh?

I don't know how commonly accepted the hand signal pics you inserted are - but not much I guess as I've not seen anyone use them. I can see the possible benefits in a night-cave environment, but also the confusions.

Oh well...

Pretty common there Don. They're in each one of these books that have been out for a while now, like decades in some cases.

Maybe somebody can start a Poll..........

Back
Top Bottom