How I almost drowned -- twice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had to use my sling a number of times, but not for me, to help others low on air. I always try and include the whole group in my "what do I need in case things go pear shaped" thinking, not just myself.

- Raja has a no glove policy. But in ur case, i dont think any one would be mad at u doing some "rock climbing" for stability. Just try not to get cut badly.

Wear one glove. I do. No one has ever objected - I wear one glove because of a ring that wont come off but when I did have to go rock climbing at Bangka..i'm glad I did have that one glove on.

Your experience sounds very much line mine (Series of Screw-Ups)--but far worse.

Both highlight the importance of the dive guide and in particular of the guide having the back of his/her customers.

This is how I do my reef hooks so they are neatly contained and simple to roll out.

That's almost exactly how I loop my reef hook cord. My one minor difference is I keep a double ender on my hook so that I can clip it off mid dive when not needed ( I loop it back up again on the safety stop) and it allows me to have the cord always attached to my D-Ring with the clip at the other end of the line.

Such a simple trick - I'm always showing people how to do it when they see mine they think it's a great idea

Did not read all the answers but I have a few remarks.

Do know your sac rate.
1000 Psi and detach yourself, not a smart planning.
When you do nit use your reef hook, keep it in your hand or put it in your BCD's pocket. To get unvoluntarily hooked is VERY dangerous and stupid.
The rope between your hook and your BCD should be small enough so that you can reach your hook wituout pain. Always have a knife at hand if you cannot detach yourself from the hook. Sometimes current can be SO strong that you cannot detach yourself.

Before you go cutting your cord, deflate your bcd and hand over hand pull yourself down to your hook, when you arrive give a strong kick forward and attempt to unseat your hook before you go sailing away on the current. If there's not a hope in heck that you'll be successful, go ahead and cut your cord, or unclip or whatever it is you need to do to get out of there. Just remember, if you can still breathe, you've got time to figure out what to do. Stop! Think! Act.

Before you go cutting your cord, deflate your bcd and hand over hand pull yourself down to your hook, when you arrive give a strong kick forward and attempt to unseat your hook before you go sailing away on the current. If there's not a hope in heck that you'll be successful, go ahead and cut your cord, or unclip or whatever it is you need to do to get out of there. Just remember, if you can still breathe, you've got time to figure out what to do. Stop! Think! Act.

Excellent suggestion. It's always nice to stop, think, and act before making any decision. charlie

My one minor difference is I keep a double ender on my hook so that I can clip it off mid dive when not needed
That sounds interesting. Could you post a picture of how that looks 'mid dive when not needed' after deploying it? Thanks

Two years+ later...OP here, thought I would give an update:

Quite a few things have changed in the two+ years. I am now up to nearly 500 dives, we now live part-time in Indo and we have been diving in Raja Ampat a number of times. We have gotten quite a bit more comfortable with high-current dives, to the point that we seek them out sometimes - and, we have become friends with some of you that responded originally! Nice, that.

We have been back to Cape Kri maybe five times since the event. Two or three of those times, there was no current and it was "like any other dive site". (My heart still pounded a bit more, though). We have been down to see the sweet lips on several occasions - they are at just over 100 ft. I have become friendly with one of the DMs from the original event who gave me his take. He still remembers the event with a bit of a shudder.

The proper way to dive the site is to go in at slack, wait for the current to build (you can see the fish begin to assemble) and then hook in. DEFINITELY get out before the current gets too high! (This is where local knowledge is essential!) If you wait too long, you will get caught in the downcurrent as we did. We've done it a few times the proper way with good guidance and it was awesome! Tons of fish lined up, and then here come the sharks! Unhook, do your S/S in the blue, and it's great.

What has changed for me, besides many more dives and much more comfort with current: (1) We took GUE Fundies, and even though we did not pass we practiced buoyancy so much, and got our equipment squared-away, so we are far more comfortable in current. (2) I now carry a 6L (40c.f.) pony on every dive. I still use air very heavily, but I now have hour-long dives like most people. (3) I learned the proper way to use and store a reef hook. (4) We now carry large SMBs and can deploy them UW, and air horns (DiveAlert), mirrors, and PLBs.

Our group was very lucky no one got hurt on the dive. In retrospect I think the "primary fault" was the Tour Leader took us in at the wrong time. Hey - it happens, no one can judge the ocean perfectly. I had queasy feelings during the briefing and I should have stepped away from the dive - it's hard to do! There were others with my skill level as well - we all should have stepped away. No one did. Once in the water, some very experienced divers (600+ dives) tried to abort the dive and still got caught in the downcurrent.

One can never know what the ocean will bring.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom