• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How important is a depth gauge as part of a reg set?

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by CycleCat, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Bigbella

Bigbella ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I worked on dive boats through college and dive computers were always the weakest link -- either through flooding; mechanical damage -- especially those with transmitters; that, or sundry battery issues. Since the lion's share of divers are weekend warriors, equipment is seldom maintained or even given much thought, eight or more months out of the year.

Provided that you have a watch and can recall your old NDL tables, there is no reason to abort a dive, when you have analog equipment on hand. I carry both and when a computer went into an anomalous error mode a couple of weeks ago, I simply shrugged it off; checked the bezel on my watch; and continued a second dive -- no big whoop.

Unless your buddy is a conjoined twin, depending upon another diver -- and his or her potential dive profile -- is a liability . . .

Hethen57 likes this.
  2. CycleCat

CycleCat Contributor

# of Dives: 0 - 24

I don't plan on going without a mechanical pressure gauge. But I can save $100+ by leaving out the rest of the gauges. My wrist compass can also clip to my SPG hose, so I would only be lacking the depth gauge then. I do say, I like the less-bulky, clean look of just an SPG.

3. CycleCat

CycleCat Contributor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    :cheers: I doubt I will ever dive solo!

4. JimBlay

JimBlay Divin' Papaw ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You don’t need a depth gauge IMO. You may eventually want a backup computer however. Many of us dive with two computers.

5. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Definitely not looking at this from a NDL or “go ahead and complete another dive that day based off your buddy’s computer” perspective. I assume the person you’re quoting wasn’t either.

6. Bigbella

Bigbella ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    That wasn't my assumption; just being facetious . . .

Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  7. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I figured as much, but that wording loosely echoed the concerns shared in the entry level courses about why you shouldn’t reference your buddy’s computer, even if you both completed the “same” dive. Basically... unless you were joined at the hip the whole time, you didn’t have the exact same dive. I know...preaching to the choir.

Bigbella likes this.
  8. Scubagolf

Scubagolf ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    No backup depth gauge. I dive with non-air integrated computer on my right wrist and an SPG clipped to a d-ring on the left side of my BC.

apenland01 and Aviyes like this.
  9. garyh

garyh Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Save your $, not necessary your buddy is your BU.

10. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I haven't yet reached the quarter century mark in diving experience, but I have not yet ever owned either a mechanical depth gauge. Now, I have been using two computers for a number of years, but if before that if a computer had gone out on a dive (which it never did), I would have ended the dive and made a slow ascent to the surface, with a safety stop at some indeterminate shallow depth. Why would I need a backup depth gauge during that process?