How is the iphone 5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a regular iphone 4 and my contracted ended months ago. I am wondering if there is any reason to upgrade. Don't know if I am to fond of new power adapter as I have plenty of 30pin chargers and acessories. I really wonder if the $200 is worth it. Any suggestions?

-Hostage

I agree, the camera is much better. In addion the iPhone5 is much faster and lighter. There have been some complaints about battery life, but I found that this improved as the battery was cycled over a week.

Yea its pretty good. I've had mine since the first day they came out and its an impressive product. Not only is it night and day faster then the 4 or the 4S, but the screen is finally the right size. Web pages load just like on your computer, no matter where you are, instant access. Things like youtube and streaming services all work normally instead of having delays like on the old phones. The only down side to the phone so far has been the battery life, its 1/2 of what my 4 was. My 4 would run 2 days no problem without charging. The 5 is a one day phone, if you're lucky and don't make a lot of calls. They for sure have a few bugs to work out in that department. Otherwise, awesome product, totally different experience then any of the other iPhones and I've owned them all. Well worth the money. :wink:

For those of you complaining about battery life with the 5 have you gone in and changed your settings and such around? I found way too many programs wanted location services activated along with other power hungry functions. Turn off location services if you don't need them. I can typically get a full day out of the phone, but haven't counted on two days ever.

I am not so sure about it being a great upgrade from a 4s, but could see it being a nice upgrade from a 4. I was coming from a 3gs and the updates just kept making the phone slower and slower. Reception isn't that much better. I am happy I got the 5, but it is not a miracle phone by any means. Siri works okay at best and is a feature I have grown to attempt to use often. I do use talk to text almost exclusively now, then correct it when it screws up each text manually.

What I am happy with is the new Speck case called the Candy Grip :) If anyone ever wants a Speck case I would recommend checking retailmenot.com for discounts or just ask the chat person on Specks website for their current promo code. Got me a nice discount.

The new connector is nice how it plugs in both directions and for size, but I lost a few accessories that I used all the time. One being the ability to plug it into my cars mini jack thru a charging cable. I ordered the adapter off of Amazon but it may or may not materialize since Apple put a chip in the cords. I bought a second cable last weekend for charging in my car.

For those of you complaining about battery life with the 5 have you gone in and changed your settings and such around? I found way too many programs wanted location services activated along with other power hungry functions. Turn off location services if you don't need them. I can typically get a full day out of the phone, but haven't counted on two days ever.

I have location services turned down to almost nothing, the app's which use them are actually quit most of the time anyway.

I also don't use the wifi very much because its slower then LTE, so perhaps that's an issue. But I've tried both wifi vs LTE and the battery life is still much less then my 4S. The 4S I still have and I leave it in my backpack as its an emergency phone for work. It will run for almost the whole week without needing a charge, with periodic e-mail checks and the once in a while 10 second phone call.

The iPhone 5, even when I don't use it at all, the battery is dead by the end of the day. I've heard from many others, this is an issue with the iPhone 5.

I am not so sure about it being a great upgrade from a 4s, but could see it being a nice upgrade from a 4.

It depends on what you use it for. I use my phone for internet more then anything else (e-mail, web, GPS, etc). If you use it more for cell phone communications, there is no difference between the iPhone 4S and 5, I almost prefer the 4S actually since the battery lasts longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom