How long can air be stored in a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a tank that sits in a hot garage since March with a full fill of regular air, I bought two new steel tanks then and was using only one. Thus, is it ok to use or better to get a fresh fill?

My question is, does air become somehow more saturated with metal particles more it stays inside?

My question is, does air become somehow more saturated with metal particles more it stays inside?

Stupid%20questions.jpg

How do you imagine that metal particles "saturate" air?

Assuming the tank had been properly maintained/serviced prior to the current fill, it will be fine.

It's fine to use. Might taste a little stale after a long time. I've used air out of tanks that have sat for 6 months+.

To answer your question, gas cannot absorb solids. In addition, there would be no metal particles in the tank in the first place if it was properly visually inspected and cared for properly. You say it was purchased new and never used. In that case it should never have had the chance to be compromised so it should be pristine inside.

It won't hurt anything, but like I said might be sort of stale after a very long period of time.

This got me thinking, is there a limit on how long the tank could sit with air before it would be unsafe?

Let's say life happened and for 5 years you did not dive. That tank that was full of air, now is due for a hydro and a vis. Would it be safe for a dive?

This got me thinking, is there a limit on how long the tank could sit with air before it would be unsafe?

Let's say life happened and for 5 years you did not dive. That tank that was full of air, now is due for a hydro and a vis. Would it be safe for a dive?

If it is a steel tank and got rusty on the inside the O2% could be too low to sustain life, reduced by the oxidation process. In that case it could be fatal.

If it is a steel tank and got rusty on the inside the O2% could be too low to sustain life, reduced by the oxidation process. In that case it could be fatal.

If it was a good tank with a good fill, it would be hard for that level of oxidation to occur. It would be the rare case. But, after 5 years it might be better to take it in for a viz anyway.

I recently did a dive off a tank with 15 month old air fill, air was very dry but no ill effects.

But, after 5 years it might be better to take it in for a viz anyway.

Get a VIP done too, as long as you're bringing it in for whatever a "viz" is...

:d

---------- Post added July 12th, 2013 at 09:07 AM ----------

I recently did a dive off a tank with 15 month old air fill, air was very dry but no ill effects.

Wouldn't be any drier than when it was put in the tank.

If it was a good tank with a good fill, it would be hard for that level of oxidation to occur. It would be the rare case. But, after 5 years it might be better to take it in for a viz anyway.

I agree I was just trying to spice things up:wink:

waste a $5.00 fill????
NEVER!!!!
ROTATE THE STOCK!!!
sealed containers still have a shelf life
i open my tanks every year in feb.
helps break up the winter fun!!
have fun
yaeg

Back
Top Bottom