How many charters got blown out last week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjoliat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After having two kids I finally got to come South again for my first ocean dives in three years. It was my whole gang, plus brother and his family, so we rented a house in LBTS. To set the stage, it was repeatedly explained that unlike previous trips I wouldn't be spending all my time diving while my wife and SIL watched our one and three year olds. So I figured we'd do one, maybe two shore dives a day and maybe a charter or two. Schedule worked out that we could do morning charters on Wed and Sat, shore diving the other days.

So, we gave it a go for a shore dive Tues afternoon south of the Commercial Blvd pier. After battling through the surf out to the buoy, only to find the vis on the bottom was still pretty bad, we decided to head back in. Wasn't too concerned at this point, having a morning trip scheduled the next day.

Or not - got a call from the captain at 6:30 a.m. that it was too windy and they were cancelling. I don't want to disclose the name of the op because 1)They have a good reputation on SB, 2)I have used this op on previous occassions and been very happy, 3)it is his responsibility to do what he deems necessary to ensure the safety of those on the boat, and I respect that. Scheduled again on Sat a.m. trip, this time he called Fri evening that they were cancelling. I was astonished that anyone would cancel a weekend trip for anything less than a hurricane.

The silver lining to the lousy ocean conitions was that we finally made our way up to Blue Heron. Did a night dive organized by Force-E on Wed night and a.m. dives thurs and Fri. WOW! That is one spectacular dive site. You have more to see on a pile of shopping carts than we have in entire quarries.

Now, the underlying question is:
was the op we tried to use being overly cautious, or was it really that bad out there. BTW, my wife and I did our discover scuba dives in 2004 in the week between hurricanes Frances and Ivan, so there was some baptism-by-fire.

UWExplorers in Boynton Beach ran three tank trips on Tuesday/Wednesday, a two tank trip Thursday and ran all weekend. That being said, it was "sporty" and they advised their divers and gave them the option of not going each of the days.

On the local Sunday morning news it was stated there had been 100+ lifeguard rescues Saturday for swimmers caught in the undertow/rip currents. The lifeguards were earning their money last weekend......

Overly cautious? Hard to tell, I'd need to know which boat as some boats handle the seas better than others. When I had a 25' Grady-White with walk-around cuddy, I'd go out in all kinds of slop that I wouldn't dare try in an 18' open fish, just as an example.

I've been out with dive ops who were so greedy (or hurting) that they would NOT cancel for rough seas, and I've hurt my back and had sucky dives. I totally respect captains that put their passengers' safety and comfort over the almighty dollar. That's very cool that Kev gave customers the option (no wonder he earned Divemaster of the Year last year). Memorial Day weekend 2008 my friends from Ohio were booked on Starfish Enterprise in Lantana and the seas were rough. My friends from Ohio decided to go anyway; I called the captain and he said listen, you live here, you can dive here anytime, skip this and come out on a nicer day. I totally respected that. My pals made one awful dive and asked the captain to return to port.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom