How many consider entry and exit of a shore dive a skill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can talk all we want about shore entries during OW classes, but without a good opportunity to practice, what we say will not stick. Additionally, we can't teach every possible situation, so we usually go for the most common methods.

I have completed well over 1,000 dives in a wide variety of locations. Only a relative handful of those dives involved true surf entries. A lot of people will go through a long scuba diving career without even seeing one. Friends I certified as new divers two years ago have more knowledge and experience at it than I because they live and dive near San Diego. On the other hand, they don't know how to do some entries that I do routinely.

We teach new divers that when they dive in new locations, they need to seek some kind of local orientation. In many cases, that's the best you can do.

Yet at other times, miss the concrete platform at Karpata and you are in for a nice "roll" while trying to get out.
:chuckle: My better half looked at it for a few minutes and said: "nah, let's do the next site over".

Shore entries and exits in surf or in a rocky terrain are very much a skill. It requires strength and some knowledge. Learning how to read the waves, time the sets and judge the intensity, are not something that can be learned in a book or taught in a lesson in a 2 day class. If a diver is weak or unskilled they can get in trouble in minor waves AND this is pretty much solo diving. Each diver needs to make it through the surf zone alone (unless the waves are trivial).

Most of the places I have dove, if the seas are really rough then the visibility is crappy and it is not worth diving anyway. If I am unsure of the conditions, I will check it out with a snorkel instead of scuba gear. If I make it out and back with little trouble, then I may decide to try it with a tank.

I'd certainly call shore entry's a skill. I've only ever done 4, in almost flat calm conditions and disliked each one of them. So with entry's with large surf.... Nah

That said all entry's exits require a skill of some type, I've seem experience diverse who've never done the giant stride - I'm forever in awe seeing UK (generally) divers exit the water onto a RHIB (Zodiac?). One kick and they're in, where as I flail around like a giant walrus.

so depending where you dive, and the typ of diving, all but the most benign conditions require some sort of skill or technique to master, and obviously all the different permutations can't be taught at OW

I suck at shore diving entry/exit. When we are at the Blue Angel in Cozumel, I jump off the dock with my gear on but have to exit at the shore. If I don't have someone physically hanging on to me, I end up crawling over rocks and sand to get out. Thank goodness my dive buddies are there to help me!

My favorite shore dive is Marineland in Rancho Palos Verdes California. I have 350 dives there and have witnessed several broken bones and lacerations. Totally fun diving.

That's one of the easier dives here. Most require hiking down goat trails to get to the beach.

I would say you need some skill if you don't want this to happen! Not an exit or entry and the guy is a pro and wasn't harmed, but I could see this happening. Probably wouldn't be that fun, ha!

[video=youtube;zQasUVffoME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQasUVffoME[/video]

T

Do you even consider it a "SKILL"?

Absolutely positively YES. Diving with a spouse who is not strong against the surf has caused us to build techniques and teamwork to get in and out safely.

The same is true when solo diving with the most important thing being knowing when it's too chalenging to go it alone.

The skills us local shore divers are clearly evident when visited by divers from inland areas, shelters regions and those that a boat dive junkies.

I'll add that I am equally klutzy on a boat.

Pete

It's for sure a SKILL or maybe calling it a "ART" would be better... Spend a few minutes watching divers in bonaire will point that out... Some pointers...

1: Look over the shore, BEFORE you get your kit on... It's not a bad idea to go in and out with just the wetsuit on to walk it first...
2: Count the waves, They come in sets... Go with the water and not against it...
3: Don't try and walk in with your fins on... A large clip to hold your fins together really helps, can clip it to your BC if needing both hands.. View attachment 217726
4: If the surf is rough, Turn your back to the shore and use the tank to stop you from getting beat up in the face...
5: Start at easy sites and work your way up to the sites that are covered in rocks and surging surf like the coast of Maine..

Jim....

I actually made the mistake to try and put my fins on first when the surf pickup and try to walk in. I lost my balance and got white wash tumble and rinse cycle! Wow that was an experience I did not want to repeat. This happened a few weeks after my OW course. I realized this is really not that easy and I needed to think it through more carefully.

Entry and exits are a real issue in non optimal condition, that's both boat and shore diving.

To be honest, the exits are far more worrying for me then the entries. Any fool can get in, even falling off the boat or being dragged out in the undertow. You always have the choice of NOT getting in.

Once you are in you HAVE to get out. You may have got in in excellent conditions, but it can go bad whilst you are under. Getting out in bad conditions, be that shore or boat is a must. It is certainly a skill. Unfortunately it can be a case of learning through hard knocks.

I think it's a case of teaching the fundamentals, for the environment in which you are diving. It is also markedly different if you are a pair on your own, than when there are others to help. Once people have the fundamentals they can build on them, also when things do go wrong, hopefully it is a minor discomfort or embarrassment.
One thing to add to this of things are borderline, how is the weakest member of the group going to cope, and , in the event of a casualty, can you get them out in the conditions?

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom