How many consider entry and exit of a shore dive a skill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
These days we have had to deal with a good number rough days. I got tired of waiting for the perfect conditions and had to put some of my shore entry and exit "SKILLS" to work.

I know that there are some who do a lot of boat dives or cake walk shore dives, which this topic is not referring too. But I think it is a good reminder for many to think about, especially before they decide to do a rough water entry/exit.

It seems easy but it really is not. Furthermore I believe it was not covered sufficiently at OW course. Especially since in my area these conditions do exist , and arise often. At the time of the course conditions were ideal. You could just inflate the BC, walk out chest deep with reg and mask off. Then you would put your fins on and proceed to kick out, piece of cake!

The challenge is when the surf picks up. It really catches a lot of people off guard. I see divers who look experienced get hammered, by not doing a few things to prevent this situation. Some end up losing there gear and getting hurt as a result. It really is important to learn this "skill".

I have tried to learn from my mistakes from last year on entering and exiting.

How good are your entry and exit skills for shore dives?

Have you witnessed a lack of knowledge/skill on how some divers deal with medium (3 to 4) surf conditions like I have?

Do you even consider it a "SKILL"?

Do you think this is an area that needs more training for OW (especially in certain locations), or do you think this should be covered under an advanced course?

I still have not mastered it, but I believe if I can, if I keep practicing it.

Thanks in advance,
Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts

Last edited:
I still have not mastered it, but I believe if I can, if I keep practicing it.

I don't know that anyone ever masters it; although I'm quite comfortable with it. I know some people who won't do a shore dive in 3-4 ft breakers. Personally, I can't even imagine surf big enough to keep me out (at least not a LJ Shores). I grew up body boarding in So Cal and I think that has helped me tremendously. I often employ the "duck dive" technique. Also, I always make sure I'm not too buoyant, as that would make me a cork and not allow me to go under the wave (although you should be net positively buoyant). Also, I want my feet to stay connected with the ground as much as possible. This allows me to use my weight into the wave (all the while trying to do the stingray shuffle). And of course also, spring straps are a must. But like you indicated, this might be only useful locally. If I went up to Nor Cal and tried to do Monastery Beach, I might very well become a complete amateur all over again.

I will say that I was completely man handled and embarrassed at La Jolla Cove once on an exit. That's why I say I don't think anyone ever really masters it. There are always those moments when the stars and the sea will align themselves and conspire against you. In these moments, yes, inflate your BCD fully. :D

I'm at a complete disadvantage when the surf picks up due to my arthritis. In order for me to don fins, I have to put them on the ground (floor), step into them, then kneel in such a way to put the heel up in the rear. I then reach back, slip the heel strap on and then repeat for the other side. I love using the buoyancy of the water to assist me in this or a bench if I'm on dry land. Unfortunately, if the surf is up, I have neither so it makes entries and exits problematic for me.

The only shore dives I do here in the Keys are easy enough and one even has a platform to fin up on. It's when I go to Venice Beach Fl to dive for sharks teeth that it gets dicey. Without a buddy to assist me, I usually call the dive. I am trying to figure out how to take a staff diving with me so I have a bit of a crutch when I need it.

Last edited:
It seems to be a vital skill in some locations, yet to most divers a mystery as to why it would even be an issue.

I think that in any advanced course and even in basic OW you would do students a favor if you note that shore dives can be a challenge/danger, maybe just as part of the idea that local knowledge is always important. At least you then give students like me (never seen a dangerous shore entry in 8 yrs) some small chance of realizing they might hurt themselves if they ever do see a shore dive like the California divers write about.

Our biggest challenge at one site here is climbing down 30 plus feet of riprap to get the shoreline. You have to use a rope and either wear or carry your gear. Main hazard is breaking an ankle or leg...have seen it happen. Folks learn to deal with that entry if that is where they are diving.

I have never done a surf entry.

Last edited:
It's for sure a SKILL or maybe calling it a "ART" would be better... Spend a few minutes watching divers in bonaire will point that out... Some pointers...

1: Look over the shore, BEFORE you get your kit on... It's not a bad idea to go in and out with just the wetsuit on to walk it first...
2: Count the waves, They come in sets... Go with the water and not against it...
3: Don't try and walk in with your fins on... A large clip to hold your fins together really helps, can clip it to your BC if needing both hands.. clip.jpg
4: If the surf is rough, Turn your back to the shore and use the tank to stop you from getting beat up in the face...
5: Start at easy sites and work your way up to the sites that are covered in rocks and surging surf like the coast of Maine..

Jim....

It is an ever-moving target depending on location and conditions.

Monastery Beach in Carmel California is well known as a difficult entry & exit even though it often looks quite benign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on1w_VCCjFA

[video=youtube;on1w_VCCjFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on1w_VCCjFA[/video]

Monastery is often called Mortuary Beach by locals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPFysQjfCM
[video=youtube;CdPFysQjfCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPFysQjfCM[/video]

This place has kicked by butt more than any other sand beach I have ever dove off. Diving off the rocks in Northern California is a completely different skill and can be extremely dangerous.

I definitely consider entry and exit skills critical, I have had my butt kicked all the way up the West coast.

As others have said, there is a huge difference from time to time and place to place. There are a number of Bonaire and Cuarao sites that, on the day we dove them, could not possibly have been easier.
On the other hand, we dove Turtle Beach on Oahu during what we were told were excellent conditions. And we all spent time crawling instead of walking in and out.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

..... There are a number of Bonaire and Cuarao sites that, on the day we dove them, could not possibly have been easier.

Yet at other times, miss the concrete platform at Karpata and you are in for a nice "roll" while trying to get out.

Back
Top Bottom