How many consider entry and exit of a shore dive a skill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, in many shore diving locations, the tidal cycle will change the water level enough to make an exit impossible. So you need to have an idea if the tide is falling or rising and also the expected water level change.

I've been burned in Maine where you have 8-10 or more feet of tidal range.. You step or jump off a perfectly nice big flat rock into the water and when you return... you are looking up at a vertical wall that extends 2 feet out of the water..LOL

Sucks to have to wait for the tide to come back in.... " Hey, You got a beer you can throw down well I tread water for 9 hrs... " :rofl3::rofl3::D

Jim....

How many consider entry and exit of a shore dive a skill?

I certainly do, this comes from having my a** handed to me on numerous occasions over the years.

Now I can spend as long as the dive watching conditions and planning my entrance and exit. If it looks a bit dodgy, I will freedive the area and check it out that way as I'm I bit more nimble without the tanks. In my travels I try to buddy with a local diver, which is made easier by Scubaboard.

Bob

Also, in many shore diving locations, the tidal cycle will change the water level enough to make an exit impossible. So you need to have an idea if the tide is falling or rising and also the expected water level change.

I've been burned in Maine where you have 8-10 or more feet of tidal range.. You step or jump off a perfectly nice big flat rock into the water and when you return... you are looking up at a vertical wall that extends 2 feet out of the water..LOL

Reading tides and currents is a fundamental skill where I dive. Around here 10-foot tidal exchanges are common, and they can be much larger than that. We've got some 14-15 foot cycles coming up at the end of the month ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To the OP--YES entry/exit skills for shore diving IS a skill. How you would "train" for that skill I dunno. The school of hard knocks is a bad school in my opinion.
The problem too is that a newer diver still trying to get their head around more fundamental dive principles IMO is going to struggle with shore entry in difficult conditions.

I say it all the time.... BABY STEPS.... Take your time to learn... Get a mentor...

Jim....

How you would "train" for that skill I dunno. .

There's your problem. There are many, many challenging entries and exits around the world, and they demand a ton of local knowledge and techniques appropriate to the sites. The only way to learn them is to show up and have someone who knows the site give good advice. You have to have that much common sense.

There's your problem. There are many, many challenging entries and exits around the world, and they demand a ton of local knowledge and techniques appropriate to the sites. The only way to learn them is to show up and have someone who knows the site give good advice. You have to have that much common sense.

Or you can learn the hard way like the locals did... not the easiest or safest option. :wink:

There's always the possibility that you know a better way. However I suggest trying it as recommended by the locals before substituting your experience and ideas. Nobody has all the answers and there's usually more than one way to do things. There's always something to learn and/or discover.

Or you can learn the hard way like the locals did... not the easiest or safest option. :wink:

There's always the possibility that you know a better way. However I suggest trying it as recommended by the locals before substituting your experience and ideas. Nobody has all the answers and there's usually more than one way to do things. There's always something to learn and/or discover.

Agreed. Why relearn the skills the locals have spent years perfecting? Learn from others mistakes/trial and error where possible

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom