How many dive cylinders do you currently own ? [Poll]

How many dive cylinders do you currently own ?

• Zero cylinders.

Votes: 41 11.9%
  • 1-2 cylinders

Votes: 50 14.5%
  • 3-4 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 5-6 cylinders

Votes: 46 13.4%
  • 7-8 cylinders

Votes: 29 8.4%
  • More then 8 cylinders.

Votes: 132 38.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searching on SB, I found this thread that is ten years old:

Scuba Cylinder Long-Term Storage: Fact and Fiction

Has any advice changed concerning these aspects of cylinder storage in the past decade ?

Likely not. And I am arguably "doing it wrong" as many of my tanks sit full for as many as several months and some of those fills are O2 rich (or even pure O2). However, I have never, since getting my own compressor, found any internal problem in any of my tanks. (The dew point of my air as tested is -73F, so there is essentially no water in them for all practical purposes.)

Two 80s and a pony. Really, I rarely use more than that in a day. And when we're on the boats, either mine or friends, there is only room for one tank per diver. We fill them between dives with a portable compressor. Our compressors take up about as much room as two tanks.

I do have a dedicated, ventilated and heated cylinder storage closet at the back of the garage. But that's for various specialty gases that I need for my work. I tried having a shed outside the building, for safety and ease of loading, but some of the regulators would leak at low temperature. Sometimes it's hard to believe what's happened to the price of high-purity helium and argon over the last couple decades. Can't afford leaks!

I hate you (more envy than hate)! I have been searching unsuccessfully for years to match up a pair of 3/4-14 72's.....

not easy to find around here.....
I had two of my own when a buddy asked me to store a dozen in my garage. After two years he told me he didn't need them any longer so I used them for a few years before selling them. They are great tanks.

Way too many. According to my wife that is.

They’re all over my garage, some reside at the dive shop, some are in Florida...I probably own 35(ish).

2x LP50 Sidemount
1x LP27 Backmount pony

Why: I can drive to the beach and go diving, no stores need be open.

Ideal:
4x LP50s for more dives
1x LP50 doubles, redundant back mount
eventually bigger and/or stages.

Two sets of hp steel 100 doubles
Two hp steel 100 for sidemount (or single
backmount)
Two Alu 80s
Two Alu 40s
One Alu 6 for argon.

Just got rid of two steel 95s and an alu 30.

2 - MP 120
HP 100
LP 95
Al 19
2 - Al 80
7 - old steel 72's, one pair in old school j-valve doubles

The top four on the list and one of the 72's are usually in hydro and viz, the rest depend on how much I'm diving and who is with me.

Bob

1 set of doubled LP 95s
3 sets of doubled LP 85s
2 sets of doubled HP 100s
2 LP 120s
4 HP 120s
9 HP 100s
4 HP Stell 80s
4 Al 80s
5 Al 40s
2 LP steel 40s
2 Al 30s
1 Al 19
2 Al 9s

And only one garage :(

Do those who own 12 and more cylinders: where do you store them all ?
I own a repair shop and that is where my compressor and tanks are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom