• 50-99

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 100-249

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 250+

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On the poll I posted yesterday, a majority of divers responded that they had less than 25 dives when they began solo diving. So, for those of you who had less than 25 dives when you began soloing, how many dives do you have now? Just wanting to know if those who voted are predominately a bunch of newbs that are just a couple of dives away from an untimely death, or if it's a number of experienced divers who, miraculously, have yet to be prematurely killed :wink:.

Unfortunately the logs from most of my early dives are lost (any many were never logged) - so it is hard to say the exact number of dives I've done. I've done around 170 in the past 3 1/2 years though (been logging those carefully). I am just now getting my solo certification. But when I worked on a dive boat as a deck hand (and a teenager), I often had to solo dive as part of my job - fetching the anchor.
BTW, I actually made a trip up to your neck of the woods back in July. I was in Laguna Beach for a week and we needed to but a good outdoor stove. The Bass Pro Shop there was the only place we could find what we needed.

I am assuming from your question that you disapprove of solo diving. Or maybe just "newbs" solo diving.

i simply prefer diving alone - it never came down to feeling ready enough to conquer the solo! i started solo-ing at about 20 dives, because frankly, as a 20 year old (who still looks like a child), i didn't like diving with borderline-pedophile old dudes with wire-rimmed glasses. simple as that.

I would put my number of dives between 600 and 700. Like handben the records of my early dives are lost or they were never recorded in the first place however I am approaching 400 logged in the past 3 1/2 years (mostly due to becoming an instructor). And like ding dang I too sometimes prefer to dive alone. I find it more relaxing and enjoyable as I am not constantly having to look around for my buddy. Would I recommend a newly certified diver to solo dive? Absolutely not. Even experienced divers should first complete a Solo Diver course. Just keep in mind that diving with a poor dive buddy can be more dangerous than diving with no dive buddy. Moral to the story: Know you and your buddy's limitations, and always dive within those limits.

I confess. My very first dive after certification was solo, in the Port Aransas ship channel, looking for any big fish to shoot.
I was unsuccessful in my quest, but it was a dive.
Now... I'm trying to remember if any of my pre-certification dives were solo... can't remember any, but then it was a long time ago.
But I wouldn't put it past me, as I was immortal at the time.
I've learned a bit since then...
:)
Rick

I am assuming from your question that you disapprove of solo diving. Or maybe just "newbs" solo diving.

Definitely not...I do it and I'm still somewhat of a newb myself. I don't know that I have a point here, per se. I created the first poll just out of curiousity...this poll is due to further curiousity. Also, this thread was supposed to be read with an aire of sarcasm (hence the winking dude). I'm not really advocating for/against solo diving, but the wording was intended to make light of the semi-widely held notion that deciding to solo dive early in one's pursuit of diving is tantamount to having a deathwish.

I'm most certainly a newb who is a couple dives away from an untimely death :wink:

It is unfortunate when people who don't even know what it is they don't know presume knowledge and skills beyond their experience and training.

I can't begin to count the number of reckless things I've done in my life because I was sure that I had the skills and knowledge to do them -- when in hindsight the reality was quite different. And for the most part I, like most everyone else, walked away unscathed.

But the end result do not negate the foolishness of the initial choice.

I define scuba diving RISK as: "The number of mistakes you have to make before it kills you"

The 'riskier' the pursuit, the less mistakes you need to make before it all goes dark.

Tech diving can kill you immediately if you make one stupid mistake (i.e. gas switching). That is a high risk activity.

Open Water (Buddy) diving allows you to make a lot of mistakes before it kills you. It is a Low Risk activity. For instance, the following is a 'chain' of mistakes:
Mistake #1: You run out of air. Solution - share air with buddy, ascend. Live.
Mistake #2: You are separated from buddy. Solution - conduct CESA to surface.
Mistake #3: You are too deep to CESA. No solution - drown. Hope someone resucitates you.

Solo diving reduces the error chain before fatality. It increases risk.

More risk + more mistakes = more deaths.

Additional diver training and experience reduces likelihood of mistakes. It is the natural way to balance the risk-mistake equation.

So... why do some people seem incredulous that it is recommended that divers gain more experience before embarking into more high-risk activities?

I define scuba diving RISK as: "The number of mistakes you have to make before it kills you"

The 'riskier' the pursuit, the less mistakes you need to make before it all goes dark.

Tech diving can kill you immediately if you make one stupid mistake (i.e. gas switching). That is a high risk activity.

Open Water (Buddy) diving allows you to make a lot of mistakes before it kills you. It is a Low Risk activity. For instance, the following is a 'chain' of mistakes:
Mistake #1: You run out of air. Solution - share air with buddy, ascend. Live.
Mistake #2: You are separated from buddy. Solution - conduct CESA to surface.
Mistake #3: You are too deep to CESA. No solution - drown. Hope someone resucitates you.

Solo diving reduces the error chain before fatality. It increases risk.

More risk + more mistakes = more deaths.

Additional diver training and experience reduces likelihood of mistakes. It is the natural way to balance the risk-mistake equation.

So... why do some people seem incredulous that it is recommended that divers gain more experience before embarking into more high-risk activities?

There's so much you don't take into account. All of this stuff you talk about, you talk about in absolute terms, but it's not nearly as absolute as you seem to think it is.

What if a person is worse off with a buddy because that buddy is incompetent and thus puts the competent diver into situations he otherwise wouldn't have ended up in? What if having a buddy makes a particular diver more complacent, or more willing to enter into a risky situation, or wanting to "impress" their buddy by doing something foolish? What if by solo-diving a particular diver becomes more adept/proficient thus increasing the likelihood he can assist a buddy should an emergency arise while buddy diving? What if a new diver is such a "natural" at diving that solo diving, for them, is no more risky than two new "lousy" divers buddy diving? Is mastersniper, for example, such a diver? I don't know, I've never dove with him...but I think it is a mistake to say that, across the board, no-one, as a novice diver, is sufficiently competent to safely and intelligently solo dive.

Also, who are you to determine what level of risk a particular individual should find acceptable? There are people who will say the risk of diving, period, isn't worth the risk. Have a buddy/don't have a buddy, calm water/choppy water...a number of people will say it doesn't matter-too risky an endeavor, period. But obviously for people like us (and millions of others) the risk is worth the reward. Likewise, the risk of solo diving can be worth the reward to a particular new diver, even if you don't think so. Solo diving for a new diver is risky, but a cave diver is probably more at risk for death than a new diver is when that new diver is diving in a calm OW environment. Cave diving has the highest fatality rate of all the certifiable diving disciplines, yet divers regularly embark into this realm. If "statistics", or "likelihood of catastrophe" is the issue here, then you should regard all cave divers as stupid for deciding to cave dive (even with proper training) because that training still doesn't do away with the high likelihood of death. The beauty and solitude caves offer is, to some, so appealing that they will venture into them despite the amount of risk involved. So too is it the case that some new divers will venture into the water alone because the draw is so powerful. My point here is that there is no inherent benchmark for "acceptable risk"...it's something people have to figure out for themselves. Like I said in a previous post: all one can do is provide a particular individual with information and allow that individual to make the decision for themselves...even if it's not one you agree with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom