How many feel they have become more patient since they took up diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The virtue of patience is a great quality to have and to practice. That is why I am really glad that scuba diving has really help me progress in this area. Patience reflects self control and the capacity to wait to do certain things with out getting angry or frustrated. I have learned to appreciate this trait and have seen its value. I am still learning to be more patient on many aspects and especially when taking video, it seems that this quality is vital in many respects.

I wonder how many view patience as a vital trait, one should always strive to master?

What areas do you think you need to develope more patience in?

Frank G
Z GEAR - Build A Mount - Camera Pole Light Mounts, Hands Free Dive Camera Mounts & Dive Light Mounts - Build A Mount

I became more relaxed 19 years ago when I retired from teaching school Band. Don't know if that translates at all to patience. I think my patience has been the same my whole life. Scuba the last 10 years has made no difference, but I'm glad it has been of benefit to you. When I started assisting with OW courses 4 years ago I found I needed patience at times, something that was not the least bit foreign to me.

I've always been very even tempered. Diving was no different than any other endeavor until I took up underwater photography. Cussing through my regulator tends to increase my air consumption.

I have to pee-I have to pee; get in the water, get in the water now!!!!!!

Sorry, what were you saying about patience? It kinds comes and goes depending on the flow. :D

But to reflect on what TMHeimer said, teaching classes. I've gained a lot more patience during the setup/gear up process.

I think with diving patience is key to a lot of things.

Generally nothing good happens when you rush things such as forgetting things during set up (back zip on a wetsuit meaning a sudden cold shock as soon as I went under), rushing about underwater just makes your gas consumption higher and your bottom time lower.

I have also noticed though that I end up de-stressed when I have been diving. All the tensions I have on the surface go when I get in the water and I come out in a far better frame of mind. The converse to this is when I haven't been able to dive for a while ( such as now due to issues funding ad buying gear) I do feel like I am missing my fix!

it all depends...not sure it is related to diving, likely more related to getting old...

on my own time i am pretty relaxed. when i first started diving i was in a hurry to "see all of the fish". i have seen most of them, so now i am happy to puddle about and encounter whatever is down there. whatever happens, happens.

at work i am still wound way too tight. no patience for fools when we have a clear objective and tight deadlines. Get out of my way and let me do it right!

I have to pee-I have to pee; get in the water, get in the water now!!!!!!

Sorry, what were you saying about patience? It kinds comes and goes depending on the flow. :D

But to reflect on what TMHeimer said, teaching classes. I've gained a lot more patience during the setup/gear up process.

Yes. Lack of patience when it concerns the bladder (I have a problem there). Since started running a (unattached....) hose down my leg (to increase "flow"), I am very patient when it comes to pee. Anytime, any place, in or out of water.....

I have been sailing and diving from my own boat in the carribean with my wife. Both of us, independently, found out that the days were we had been diving were more peacefull and rewarding that the other. My guess is that to spend one hour with a low breathing rythm and loosing calories underwater leaves you with a funny feeling of good "exhaustion" ( for the lack of a better word :). :)

I think with diving patience is key to a lot of things.

Generally nothing good happens when you rush things such as forgetting things during set up (back zip on a wetsuit meaning a sudden cold shock as soon as I went under), rushing about underwater just makes your gas consumption higher and your bottom time lower.

I have also noticed though that I end up de-stressed when I have been diving. All the tensions I have on the surface go when I get in the water and I come out in a far better frame of mind. The converse to this is when I haven't been able to dive for a while ( such as now due to issues funding ad buying gear) I do feel like I am missing my fix!

Yeah I can really relate to the forgetting gear when rushing. This is another good example of me utilizing patience to slow down and doing a proper check before heading out to the dive site. I think by taking out one bad habit "rushing" and replacing it with being more patience I get less stressful and it makes me feel more relaxed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom