How many of you smoke?

do you smoke?

• I smoke

Votes: 73 21.3%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 269 78.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBD and funky: Thanks for the encouraging words. Stan I was hoping someone would come up with a web site that had a picture like that.
It's very sad to look at that picture and see how smoking has hurt so many friends of mine.
I will make sure Jordan sees this. I will try not to be "overly motherly" and demanding.
His father doesn't know he smokes, and would be equally sick about it. His father died of lung cancer, when Jordan was 4 years old.
Newhampster I feel your pain.
'Bravo' to all those that have quit.
To those that are still trying .. I pray you make it!

Started smoking in College, because everyone did. Lived in a house with a smoker (dad) who quit when I was a little kid. Like a lot of the others, the military (Army) made it easy to smoke. Frequent breaks, and cigs at 50 cents a pack across the counter, or 30 cents a pack by the carton (compare that to $3.00 plus per pack now...) Quit smoking around the house when the kids were little, but always kept a pack or two in my office. Finally quit for good about 1986 or so. Have had ONE, since then, it tasted TERRIBLE! Now I work out at least five hours a week. Can spend 30 minutes on the cross trainer/stepper without passing out, even ride my bike to the gym on the weekends when the weather is warm. Not bad for a guy with 50 looming near. Am planning on trying running a bit this spring in prep for the OW cert I want to get at the LDS.

Frankenmuth Tom

Nope, don't smoke. Although I used to dive with some free-divers who would have a butt before and after diving (real smart, huh?).

Aside from damaging your lungs, smoking does a number on your heart and it's no good having a bum ticker when you crawling through a wreck.

It stinks,its filthy,it kills. It displaces O2??? And its not OK. No, I don't smoke.:doctor: :boom: :nono:

I am presently working on a students Divemaster rating. He smokes. He cannot pass the swim test.

My original instructor used to take his lighter and smokes with him on every dive. (tucked away in his drysuit). Would light up right afer finishing a dive. I used to think his air consumption was fantastic.

Until I started teaching.

I do not smoke.

Ron

Natasha,

I was reading parts of this thread to Lydia, who smoked briefly, and now teaches teenagers - many of whom smoke. What she has heard from them, is the conversations that have the most impact with them, are the ones where smokers or former smokers discuss just how hard it is to quit. Especially if you let your habit go on for years.

Maybe showing Jordan this thread really is one of the best things you can do.

On a side note - currently, about 85.5% of us voted "don't smoke". I wonder how that compares to the general population? Anybody know???

Congrats and Big Hugs (if you like them!) to all the former smokers, and all of you still trying to kick the habit.

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

i used to smoke 2 + packs a day !
then someone said to me what about scuba (my life long dream)
and i quit almost 2 years ago . it was the hardest thing ive ever done and never want to do it agin . so i will not smoke anymore ,
it was that spring that i started scuba diving. since then ive had a desire to get in better shape and now attend a gym to help loose the dual spare tire , my consumpition of air has dropped dramaticly and i feal allot better too for it .
now the price of cigs in nova scotia are almost 7 $ a pack,
i was 14 when i started smoking and i am 31 now .my parents both smoke and will probly never stop .i do still look for that pack of cigs when i am driving or watching TV but ive replaced it with an empty sucrets case to remind me that ya it is ok to have some kind of life line i just want mine a DOWN line .
all my monie now goes into scuba gear getting a new drysuit next year is the next purchas it will be an ABYSS !
:D

never have, never will
not after what they did to my grandma

f***ing cancer sticks

Back
Top Bottom