How many people have had to use their knife/cutting tool while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see, I've been HOOKED by monofilament 2 times. I've had to cut a jellyfish that had wrapped all the way around my arm off. I still have a scar from that sting. I've cut roap from boat props in a 6" vis lake (I don't EVER want to do that again)

Only time I've ever had to use mine was when I was putting my bpw on in the water and the waist buckle wouldn't close because it was a little bent. Used the knife to pry the bent piece back into place.

I do pull mine out whenever I see any fishing line anywhere, even if it's nowhere near me. Any reason to pull a knife and use it is a pretty good one.

I use mine to clean fishing line off the wrecks....and in gun fights.

Tell me your stories about the situations that u had to use your knife to get ya out of a sticky situation

I have cleaned up a few minor entanglements. I have also broken mono filaments lines that we strung across parts of a site so they could eventually ball up.

I accidentally sucked some cave line into a scooter prop once. Had to use mah Rope Wrench on that one.

I had to cut a loose shirt string out of my friend's braces once. I was still wearing the shirt. :bored:
Don't ask me how we got in that situation. There's probably pictures somewhere.

There was also those times when I got a strand of kelp wrapped on my first stage and either because
- we were on a time sensitive sci dive
- my buddy was being unobservant and leaving me
=> I opted to just cut myself free instead of untangling.

Several times. Once might have saved my life. But in hind sight, perhaps if I had doffed my rig....even then I believe I would have needed a cutting tool to clear it.

was the size of the knife any consideration?

I'm trying to decide between the Wenoka Big Squeeze or Little Squeeze (or whatever its called lol)

IMO, you probably won't need 4.5in of blade unless you're prying with it. Even then you'll want a longer dedicated pry bar so you don't ruin your knife. I don't think you'll spontaneously come across a "I must pry this" situation either.

The 3in standard Wenoka Squeeze-lock should be fine. The serrated edges will take care of almost anything. The line hook and plain side probably won't get much use other than sandwich making and package opening. For steel leader you may want to look at trauma shears.

If you're spear fishing you'll want a pointed tip, otherwise blunt is more clumsy friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom