Votes: 10 6.5%

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • more than 10

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • more than 20

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which vitamins do you not get in a balanced diet of American food, and which foods on the Amalfi Coast would obviate the need for supplemental vitamins? What afflictions should I expect after 50 years without supplements and ~30 years of eating food in America? I mean, assuming I'm using my emotional freedom techniques regularly.

Of course, there is a statistical issue of your own genes and at what point the American standard diet will cause imbalances in your system--some people can smoke cigarettes for 80 years and get away with it, just like some could eat 3 meals per day from McDonalds for 3 decades and still be OK....but the norm is, poor food will cause certain health problems.

One of the factors in our food in America is the prevalence of Genetically modified food...thanks to Monsanto. On the Amalfi coast, particularly if you were eating at an agriturismo.... In the Amafi coast, like in America 200 years ago, food is/was grown within a few miles of where it is eaten. It is harvested when it should be harvested ( rather than a month early), and it is eaten when fresh. Many Genetically modified foods will have bio structures in them that our bodies have not evolved to utilize properly, so imbalances will occur from this...this is an entire thread in itself, so if you want more here, that would be a separate post from this.... Part of this is having the correct and functional "ENZYMES" IN the food, so that your body can actually utilize the food. The older the food ( do to shipping across the country or world and then sitting in a warehouse) the more deactivation of the enzymes will occur. Vitamins are co-enzymes...you need both, or metabolic functions will become unbalanced and health issues will result.
Anecdotally, I know many dozens of people, many cyclists, that have traveled to Italy, and without exception, all came back astounded with how much better they felt from eating the food in Italy, than they do from eating the food in the US. This ties in perfectly with the articles Mercola has written about the human body's need for freshly harvested food, the avoidance of Genetically modified foods, the need for free range organic, etc... I felt all this myself, as did Sandra when we were in the Amalfi coast on a cycling trip.

As to specific imbalances, this could be very long, as there are so many... Let's start with just a few.
  1. Free range organic meat....prevalent in Amalfi, expensive and hard to find in US....whether beef, buffalo, fish or chicken. One major benefit is the high levels of DHA forms of Omega 3 fatty acids, which is critical for our health long term. I suppose I can do a follow up on why if you don't believe this, but for now I will assume you are on the same page with high DHA Omega 3's. Typical in America, is stupidity like Farm raised Salmon, which has essentially no omega 3's...destroying the benefit of eating salmon. The Italians would never allow this stupidity. Our public was lied to, is apathetic, and many have no idea that farm raised salmon is not healthy for you like Wild Pacific Salmon ( high in Omega 3). Free range beef is high in omega 3 fatty acids....grain fed beef is high in saturated fat instead--grain is like sugar to cattle, it causes insulin spiking in them, and they make fat from it, and not the healthy kind like the omega 3 found in free range cattle.
  2. Farm raised fish, along with beef and chicken, and milk, are contaminated in the US with antibiotics and growth hormones that have already been shown conclusively to cause major health problems in humans. We have pre-adolescant girls growing breasts many years before this used to occur, and we have many strains of bacteria that are becoming resistant to antibiotics due to all the heavy use with farm animals.
  3. With the free range organic diet of Americans 200 years ago, we would get all the high gamma Vitamin E we needed for producing hormones and utilizing fats properly....we would get the minerals we needed from the vegetables, from rich soil that was rotated as farmers always knew it should be...Look at a tomatoe in Florida today...then look at a fresh organic one grrown in rich soil...diffferent colors, different tastes, different mineral content, different health benefits....Minerals are every bit as essential for our metabolic health as vitamins, and even more overlooked in the American diet..

Enough for now, I could go on for pages.

Okay, so I had to answer 16. What?! you might ask. Okay so six are directly or indirectly related to liver s***. Two other are prescription, and the rest are vitamins, co-Q10, GC for arthritis, DHEA etc. So are ya happy now?? And who said old ladies aren't grumpy?!

I hope some of you are chuckling by now, cause this old lady is far from grumpy, in fact I'm giddy about scuba... having only one dive under my belt (Intro to Scuba class at lds)! Getting ready to dive in (no pun intended) in mid-December! Look out ocean, here I come!! :chuckle:

LSF
:coffee:

Two gummy vitamins a day. I try to avoid other pills unless absolutely necessary.

I take one a day since the day I got rid of my thyroid, historically most women in my family have been healthy. My mom is days from her 84th birthday and takes zero medications. About 25years ago she went back to her hometown (Basque country) and is in great health, a bit crazy but she always was.

Now I do go through stuff, colds and whatever. Like now a have a bum shoulder so there is PT and some meds but that's just few weeks and back to my only one.

I do not take anything unless you consider rum consumption to be self medicating and I do not measure that by the teaspoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom