How Many "Solo Divers" Begin and End Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that under NO circumstances should you leave your boat with no-one onboard

that is tough but you are probably right.
I started really looking at the moorings lately....pretty sketchy.

fndmylove:
When I decide I'm ready, I'll be doing mostly shore diving, alone. That said, I plan on minimizing my risk in many different ways. Perhaps the biggest risk reduction for me will be diving no deeper than 50 feet.SNIP...
Sounds like a good plan. This is the kind of diving we do most here. After depth, our biggest solo-problem is the careless boater (very few here, but we do see them).

FYI I've come to prefer a float like the Sevlor snorkel raft to a kayak, but either is safer than a simple flag on a stick IMO. The larger platforms/targets are no trouble to drag and lets you attach spear, snare, game bag (at depth off a line) and even water bottles. No ice chest yet, but my cousin is lobbying for one when he joins me - its doable!

We have reefs 150, 500 and 1,500 yards off shore, so I often snorkel a lot on the way out to save air. We know where the lobster and hogfish hang out, and in 17 max depth the ups & downs aren't much of a worry (I dive 40% on the reef anyway).

About 80% of the time I just snorkel with the big float. The BIG concern there is getting the line snagged on coral or wrapped in a georgorian - both for the snagor and me, the snagee. I don't take as many shots for fear of damaging and losing a fish, and the lobster of course are sometimes impossible to finesse out of their holes. Tanks are an inconvenience but we eat better!

MikeJacobs:
Sounds like a good plan. This is the kind of diving we do most here. After depth, our biggest solo-problem is the careless boater (very few here, but we do see them).

FYI I've come to prefer a float like the Sevlor snorkel raft to a kayak, but either is safer than a simple flag on a stick IMO. The larger platforms/targets are no trouble to drag and lets you attach spear, snare, game bag (at depth off a line) and even water bottles. No ice chest yet, but my cousin is lobbying for one when he joins me - its doable!

We have reefs 150, 500 and 1,500 yards off shore, so I often snorkel a lot on the way out to save air. We know where the lobster and hogfish hang out, and in 17 max depth the ups & downs aren't much of a worry (I dive 40% on the reef anyway).

About 80% of the time I just snorkel with the big float. The BIG concern there is getting the line snagged on coral or wrapped in a georgorian - both for the snagor and me, the snagee. I don't take as many shots for fear of damaging and losing a fish, and the lobster of course are sometimes impossible to finesse out of their holes. Tanks are an inconvenience but we eat better!

Great post Mike, thanks!

Here in the mid atlantic solo diving is the unspoken norm. Start solo end solo.
On the majority of charter boats the range of people and gear almost dictate solo. Single al 80, hp120, hp120 doubles, deco, no deco. All the charters I have been on have no DM, and generaly the capt. or mate asks everyone for their bottom time just prior to entering the water. While in Hatteras this year on a 3 dive one day charter there was a impromptu computer inspection done by a stealthy mate to ensure that no one had bent their computer prior to starting third dive.
Eric

When I solo dive, I prefer to keep to sites that I know and are fairly safe and less than about 60 ft. That way I when it really hits the fan, i'll still be able to bolt for the surface (obviously not a number one choice but...) and not kill myself

When i dive solo i just pack up my gear and head normally for a lake. Normally i go from the shore, but there is a Kayak i have had my eye-ball on lately and it's begging me to take it out. If i take the Kayak out i will most likely anchor it in a cove or across a cove so that the friendly fisheman can see the obvious bive flag floating on a nae by bouy. Sometimes i camp out and do a little night diving from shore. BTW have you read "Solo Diver" by Robert Von Maier? It's a great read.

I used to try to keep my solo diving secret, and to avoid being seen, so I would go at odd times or to less popular or less busy places to dive. So definitely I wouldn't have anyone on shore or anywhere around that knew I was diving.

Then I got certified as a solo diver and some more experience, and now I feel more comfortable being seen solo diving. I've done it from a dive boat even, with the captain's permission. But I'm always mindful that it scares some people, so I try to keep my distance from the other divers at the site so that they don't feel obliged to try to adopt me as a buddy. *grin*

I don't like the idea of telling someone that I'll phone them when I'm done my dive. That person might worry while I'm diving, and there's always the possibility of getting delayed for one reason or another, and them calling the police. I think if I'm going to dive solo I shouldn't be bothering police or rescue services or other people with my antics. Just my personal opinion though.

most of my dives are solo ,but if i go down with a buddy i stick to him/her watch out stay behind them especially if a female divebuddy ,give them the lead , coming up together , if i am with people i enjoy good teamwork .

christianweber:
most of my dives are solo ,but if i go down with a buddy i stick to him/her watch out stay behind them especially if a female divebuddy ,give them the lead , coming up together , if i am with people i enjoy good teamwork .

"...but if i go down with a buddy i stick to him/her watch out stay behind them especially if a female divebuddy..."

Why is this especially important with a female buddy?

Hemlon:
"...but if i go down with a buddy i stick to him/her watch out stay behind them especially if a female divebuddy..."

Why is this especially important with a female buddy?
I was wondering about this as well... perhaps he meant that he lets his female buddies lead the dive.

So Christian, was meinst du?

Back
Top Bottom