How many would consider using a tether when diving with a loved one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't used a buddy line in years. To avoid entanglement, we put a small sliding ski rope float on the line. If my buddy and I were close together, the float drew the line up and well above us, preventing loose line from drifting around and becoming entangled. Worked quite well.

I used a buddy line once on a low vis dive. It was a total pain in the butt. You want to hold it in your hand so that you don't get stuck on something. I'm not sure it would be good for a buoyancy problem.

I'm thinking if she has that much air in her bcd then maybe she was over weighted to begin with. I'd work on reducing the lead she carries, so there is less of a delta if she does lose the lead.

Originally Posted by Dirty-Dog View Post
Do you know of any BP/W that comes with integrated weight pockets?

My Xdeep Zeos's harness has integrated weights. Well, the weight pockets at one end bolt to the BP and the waist strap goes through a loop on each pocket to keep them in place. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

The deluxe harness is an upgrade from the Zeos BP/W which, like other BP/W's, does not have those features. There are other BP/W manufacturers that also provide those type accessories at additional cost should you be inclined to use them on your BP/W.

What is interesting is that a similar setup with Halcyon is less expensive, and if I were to add those features to my BP/W, my unit would cost considerably less.

Bob

My Xdeep Zeos's harness has integrated weights. Well, the weight pockets at one end bolt to the BP and the waist strap goes through a loop on each pocket to keep them in place. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

You can add pockets to any BP/W (I've got a couple Dive Rite pockets for mine). But they're not really integrated. The modular design of a BP/W makes "integrated" an oxymoron.

You can add pockets to any BP/W (I've got a couple Dive Rite pockets for mine). But they're not really integrated. The modular design of a BP/W makes "integrated" an oxymoron.

I wouldn't say that.

Integrated weights just mean that the weight is attached to the BC and not to a weight belt, which has implications for diving. For example, a diver that has to remove a scuba rig at depth with integrated weights is more at risk for an uncontrolled ascent than if they are wearing a weight belt. A weight integrated BC might be more difficult to manage topside, more likely to pull out of a tank rack in heavy seas, etc...

There are two types of integrated weights, ditchable (the quick release pocket type) and non-ditchable (e.g. trim weights on cam straps).

The fact that you purchase weight pockets separately and attach them to your backplate as opposed to having them be part of a single manufactured jacket BC has implications for sales and marketing, but not for diving.

I wouldn't say that.

Integrated weights just mean that the weight is attached to the BC and not to a weight belt, which has implications for diving. For example, a diver that has to remove a scuba rig at depth with integrated weights is more at risk for an uncontrolled ascent than if they are wearing a weight belt. A weight integrated BC might be more difficult to manage topside, more likely to pull out of a tank rack in heavy seas, etc...

There are two types of integrated weights, ditchable (the quick release pocket type) and non-ditchable (e.g. trim weights on cam straps).

The fact that you purchase weight pockets separately and attach them to your backplate as opposed to having them be part of a single manufactured jacket BC has implications for sales and marketing, but not for diving.

So by your logic, the harness, backplate, wing, butt bag, crotch strap, weight pockets, STA, cam bands, DSMB, knife, backup lights, primary light, etc etc etc are all "integrated", since, like the weight pockets, they're things you purchase and put together.
To my way of thinking, it has to be an integral part of the design.

So by your logic, the harness, backplate, wing, butt bag, crotch strap, weight pockets, STA, cam bands, DSMB, knife, backup lights, primary light, etc etc etc are all "integrated", since, like the weight pockets, they're things you purchase and put together.
To my way of thinking, it has to be an integral part of the design.

I don't know. I have never heard the term "integrated" used in any other BC context besides weights. I have no idea what a backup-light-integrated BC or a butt-bag-integrated-BC would be, because I have never heard those terms used anywhere.

The two choices (leaving aside the ditchable vs. non-ditchable distinction) are some weights attached to the BC or all of the weight attached to the diver with a weight belt or harness. The former is a weight-integrated BC, the latter is not.

So a weight-integrated BC has certain diving characteristics that a non-weight integrated BC doesn't have (as I mentioned above). And these characteristics are present whether the weight integration comes from buying a jacket BC with weight pockets, from a BP/W with pockets on the harness, or from any sort of BC that you might assemble by hand from spare parts.

That's what people mean when they use the term "weight-integrated BC".

That's what people mean when they use the term "weight-integrated BC".

i'm not sure you speak for most people...

a weight integrated system is one where the system comes with weight pockets built in. The pouches are what store the weight that goes into the pocket...

on our BP/W there is nothing for our "pouches" to go into.. it must be threaded or clipped onto the harness/plate... that isn't integrated

i'm not sure you speak for most people...

a weight integrated system is one where the system comes with weight pockets built in. The pouches are what store the weight that goes into the pocket...

on our BP/W there is nothing for our "pouches" to go into.. it must be threaded or clipped onto the harness/plate... that isn't integrated

Yeah, you are probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say that.

Interesting. I thought the possibility of rapidly sinking (or the bcd ascending on its own) would be a big risk if you remove a bcd at depth and were using a weight belt. All of a sudden you've got a lot of negative buoyancy on your waist and the compensating bladder in your hand in that case.

---------- Post added October 28th, 2015 at 03:15 PM ----------

I use dive rite ditchable pouches with my bp/w. Works pretty much the same as a weight integrated bcd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom