How many wraps for Speargun Shooting Line one can/should have on a band gun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure that I understand or picture what you mean. When you have the chance, it will be great if you can post a picture(s) of what you did please.

These were small fishing weights that had rubber stuck in them (I guess you are supposed to slide the fishing line through and the rubber holds it on the line). I removed the rubber, pried them open a bit, and crimped them on the line with pliers. The "Front" weights are attached about 6" before the releasable line holder at the bottom of the handle. The "Rear" weights are attached about halfway along the line where they won't interfere with wrapping the line. This keeps the line down and away from me while I'm re-wrapping after a shot and helps keep things from getting messy when I have a fish on the shaft. In the "Slide and Stop" picture it looks like there is some wear on the shaft where it stops the slide and that is with two wraps. On a previous gun the slide would get stuck on the shaft after a shot. I had to have a new, custom shaft made because the other shaft wore out. It had only one wrap.

The gun is an Aqua-Craft Bandito from the late 60s or early 70s.

Rear Weights.jpg Rear Weights.jpg Front Weights.jpg

This thing went goofy. It is showing two of the same picture in one place but three different pictures in another place. If it doesn't display properly I'll upload the picture again.

Attachments

• Slide and Stop.jpg
    Slide and Stop.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 103
When you use a speargun with a slider on the shaft, then you are loosing the "half wrap" of line that extends from the muzzle to the rear attachment point on a shaft. For guns with a slider, a single wrap of line is basically one shaft length shorter and this may be too short for some applications. For guns that use a slider, a double wrap of line is not uncommon at all.

When you use a speargun with a slider on the shaft

Are these a common type of shafts for band guns? I only saw it on an Omer Roller gun. I see it on pneumatic guns.

It is somewhat old school. They are still used on some other manufacturer's guns.

There are benefits and drawbacks to a slider. One benefit is that it may be faster to reload. One drawback is that you have to use a double wrap of line to get "good" range, but many people feel that the double wrap is really longer than necessary.

A large majority of reef hunters who select a gun with a direct attachment of the line to the shaft (in the rear) are going to select a single wrap of line because this is often the sweet spot between range and not having too much shooting line to deal with. That is our standard rigging for our guns.

There are so many different conditions and preferences so a lot comes down to opinion on what works best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom