How much is an old KISS classic worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. I understand this is an impossible question because there are way to many factors to weigh in but I give it a shot.
I am considering buying a KISS classic that is 20 years old and has not been dived for a while. The owner is a buddy I fully trust, an experienced rebreather diver with technical expertise and competence in serving the machine and fixing it. I am factoring that in the price as well.

I see prices here between 2500-3500 US $, is this a reasonable range? I am not after an exact price but what factors would drive the price to the lower end or what factors would drive the price to the upper end?

We have not discussed price yet, he wants to see that the unit is divable first. I just want to offer a fair price without overpaying.
Cheers

Jordi

I don't know. How much would you pay to watch "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" in a movie theatre? Personally, I'd probably less than 2500$.

Open offers like that are always a little uncomfortable, especially between friends. Figure the price probably drops by 50% walking out the door unless its the Mercedes of CCR. What would your long-term maintenance and use costs be? Will bits and pieces be required in the near future? What is the life expectancy of a KISS unit?

Good luck. If you make a stupid low offer and he's your friend, he's likely to just slap you and tell you to reconsider. Go for it.

Things that influence price:
Electronics (computer included or not, HUD or not, Predator vs newer computer)
State of regs
Overhauled or not
Holds a positive / negative
Fixable orfice or in need of new one
Which DSV / BOV / etc. KISS units over the years have used a bunch of (now absolutely trash) BOVs

Most importantly, is the head cracked. On the right side is a NPT? male thread screwed into head that is really only designed to be screwed in once. If former owner did screw it in too far and the head is cracked, there are bigger issues.

$1500 up through $4500 depending on what’s included. At $4000 I expect it fully serviced by a tech, a modern computer, HUD, and nearly ready to dive.

One should remember that when these were originally sold, they were effectively parts kits and the end user had to put it together. Feel free to post images.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom