How Much Money Did You Spend In Your First Year of Diving?

How much money did YOU spend in the first year after your certification as a diver?

• $ 0.00 - 500.00

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • $ 501.00 - 1000.00

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • $ 1001.00 - 1500.00

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • $ 1501 - 2000.00

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • $ 2001.00 - 2500.00

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • $ 2501.00 - 3000.00

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • $ 3001.00 - 3500.00

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • $ 3501.00 - 4000.00

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Over $4000.00

Votes: 89 29.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
When I was at my LDS last week, I convinced one of the employees to check on the computer and see EXACTLY how much money I had spent since last August when I started diving.

HOLY COW!!!!!!!! was I suprised as to how much I had spent...I figured somewhere in the ballpark of 3-4 grand...but with my purchase that day, I hit the Five Thousand Dollar Mark!!! and I still have two and a half more months before my first year is up!!!

How much did you spend in the first year after your Basic Open Water Certification.

If you dont fit within the parameters of the poll then click other and indicate in a post where you fall.

Well, lessee... as I remember the approximate costs
Voit fins & mask & snorkel - $30
Used Conshelf regulator - $35
Used Steel '72 with backpak/harness - $35
Great big knife - $12
Monster speargun - $88
about a hundred air fills - $150
Total (less gas for the boat) - $350
Rick :)

Or did you just trade for some chickens or Homespun?????

Har Har Har....

Sorry, couldn't resist....too bad those prices aren't still around today...

Ohh money spent on diving, that's one of those things you don't really want to put a number on! I know I could have my student loans paid off if I wasn't diving, that's as much as a figure as I want to know. And I also am still under that year, only a few more weeks til I can start a dive story with "A year ago while diving...."

When contemplating the money spent on such niceties, I am reminded of a conversation I had with my brother-in-law at the end of the summer a few years ago.
He said "I've just figured the summer's fuel bill for the boat... it was right at $3000."
Then after a short pause, he said "I wish it'd been $6000."
Rick :)

It has only been just over 3 months and I cringe when i realize that I am already at the top mark. ;-0 ;-0 ;-0 It is not all in one place however. It is spread between a few. I know I have probably over bought but the stuff is sweet and exactly what I want. The philosophy is buy the right stuff now and you won't have to upgrade next year.... I hope?

noshow,

It doesn't work.

I bought exactly what I wanted last year and I still love it, but, now I ordered a dry suit, and darn it my bc just won't work if I ever want to go to doubles so I have to look at bps, and if I double up the tanks I have I guess I need two more so I can dive singles without alot of work, but, I won't be wearing a drysuit all the time so I might need a SS and AL bp, and wouldn't a scooter be cool.....you get the point

I hope you have better luck.

Chad

Gulp! I recon I should've clicked "other". I'm close to $2K and not certified for another month! The prognosis looks grim! :)

Over $7000 and counting. But, that includes certifications and travel. $3000 for gear and $3000 for travel, so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom