• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How much should I be spending on PADI training?

Discussion in 'New Divers & Those Considering Diving' started by Seville, Apr 8, 2021.

1. mmerriman

mmerriman Captain

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    3 words: gas station sushi.....

Scatterbrained and WinfieldNC like this.
  2. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Waiting for the zombies ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I can one better you. There is a gas station in my neighborhood that has a freshly shucked clam stand kind of next to the pumps. Mind you. This is a block away from the East River in Manhattan. Not only gas station clams but East River clams. You'd have to be very brave or equally as stupid.

3. Wibble

Wibble Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    For those of us not familiar with PADI e-learning...
    * How much is the e-lerning for OW & AOW?
    * Is it time limited? Meaning you Pay Another Dollar In and it expires... how long do you get? How much to extend for another ~year?
    * What's the material like? Is it more than "death by powerpoint"?

I know it's odd, but I do have my PADI books on my bookshelf from a decade ago. They've not stopped working and virtually all of the information in there's still pertinent. Very little would have materially changed subsequently.

Just wonder why people would plump for paying a small fortune for ephemeral information in e-learning format? Especially as you can't write on the material to make notes, stick in post-its, use it to discuss a point with your instructor...

4. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I get not encouraging new divers to buy old training materials as a general principle. But I'm a little skeptical that info from 2008-2010 is "dangerous nonsense." Do people who got certified back then and have continued to dive casually without taking more courses need to redo OW? What were they teaching back then that was so perilous? Split fins?

5. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    My comment was about the bulk of his post, not specifically the link to the 2008-2010 material.

6. ofg-1

ofg-1 Course Director

Cost of PADI training?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL_dVMa3l6WKZCujFqjOloMCo9_rxTnGrmIA&usqp=CAU.jpg

halocline and Wibble like this.
  7. Diverlady13

Diverlady13 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    One thing I will note @Seville is that PADI fairly recently updated their e-learning program and website, so there may be new information that wasn't covered when you did the course (and even when I did the course) if you choose to stick with PADI. I'm not sure what all changed, but it was quite different (and better) when my son did the OW and AOW work last year vs. when I did it in 2019.

8. Seville

Seville Contributor

thanks soo much. I was originally told that it expired after 12 months but I have proof to back it up. My friend recently went through the e learning and after completing the course she really did not know much about diving. I guess the new course does not teach dive charts. She relies on the dive master on the boat trip to tell the group when to do the decompression stops. But it could be different for everyone based on what number dive it was.

9. oly5050user

oly5050user Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    PADI is recreational no decompression diving. I am sure her instructor would explain a RDP if asked and at that time explain why she should own a dive computer

10. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    In PADI instructor webinars, they ask the group multiple choice questions, and the time limit for a course was one of the recent questions. I don't remember what percent got it right, but I think it was a bit over 50%. I think most instructors are confused by the one year limit on referrals.