How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tip as you feel the need to. :)

If you feel you received service worthy of tipping - then do so.

If you do not, then don't.

Which brings the discussion back to the original question? How to tip?

You mean the original question from the original poster in this thread--someone from Oslo--back in 2015? Or the resurrection a few weeks ago by someone in Missouri?

In any case, my recommendation to people with similar questions would be to read this whole thread, take it all into consideration, and do whatever feels right. A lot of great insight here.

@Efka76 I regret to say that the relatively few (compared with the number of Americans) Europeans, Australians, etc., who visit Cozumel may need to consider tipping more like an American...
Why should they? It's not their fault that we gringos have led the people of Cozumel to expect that everyone will tip "like an American".

Why should they? It's not their fault that we gringos have led the people of Cozumel to expect that everyone will tip "like an American".

I agree that we gringos have spread our culture around the world, including the tipping thing that infuriates people from non-tipping countries visiting US-infected places like Cozumel. But I suspect it's irreversible. Cozumel isn't MEXICO--it's more like an outpost of Houston. Are you suggesting that instead of tipping according to what has become, unfortunately, the local custom (and has been for decades), visitors continue to tip according to their home country's custom? When I'm in Europe, I leave a euro coin or my change on the table. When I'm in the US I leave 15-20%. When I'm in Cozumel, I might leave a little less than I would in the US but I still leave a tip. Makes sense to me.

English is my not native language. However, i told you the same fact. In US waitress and other personnel wages are very very small and are significantly below wage average. Accordingly, tips comprise such people salary. In this case restaurants, dive centers do not need to pay higher salaries to personnel, IRS is cheated (waitresses, DMs, etc.) do not pay taxes on received tips. Everybody knows that and does not do anything. In Europe there is a minimal wage which guarantees that person can survive on that salary). Next time please read posts more carefully before replying and saying that somebody is totally wrong.
Dude this is what you wrote " . For example, if go for diving and i receive normal quality of services (for which i paid full price), why should i pay tips? I work in finance industry and if my customers feel that i performed excellent service they say "big thanks" to me or inform my boss. I never ever received extra payment from customer because i performed excellent service. Maybe bottle of wine during Christmas time" :) You wrote that you go diving ,why should you pay tips for normal quality of services. I did not say that, you did, so I still say you stiffed the DM. You say you work in finance. So does my wife. At the end of the year do you not get a bonus check? Here in the US this can be anything from a few hundred to $30,000 or more. Is that not a reward for a job well done?

Last edited:
I agree that we gringos have spread our culture around the world, including the tipping thing that infuriates people from non-tipping countries visiting US-infected places like Cozumel. But I suspect it's irreversible. Cozumel isn't MEXICO--it's more like an outpost of Houston. Are you suggesting that instead of tipping according to what has become, unfortunately, the local custom (and has been for decades), visitors continue to tip according to their home country's custom? When I'm in Europe, I leave a euro coin or my change on the table. When I'm in the US I leave 15-20%. When I'm in Cozumel, I might leave a little less than I would in the US but I still leave a tip. Makes sense to me.
I'm suggesting that each and every one of us should tip what they feel comfortable with for whatever their reason and not feel pressured by what anyone else does or tells them they should do.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!!!!!

That’s all that needs to be said!

It’s a personal
Decision - period!

I have been going to Cozumel since 1986 and this has always been a question that I struggle with. How much to tip the Dive Guide and how much to tip the Boat Captain? After much discussion with other divers on site, I have come up with my solution. I tip MXN $100 per tank. I dive multiple days and at the end of the dive period I put the cash in an envelope with each Dive Guide and Boat Captain's name on it. I also tip the guy who rinses my gear and gets it to the boat. I know this is after the fact, but if the service diminishes over the week in expectation of a tip at the moment, then so does the tip at the end of the week. btw 100 pesos is the starting point. If someone does something special then so do I. They remember me the next trip - or not.

Cheers -

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!!!!!

That’s all that needs to be said!

It’s a personal
Decision - period!
Not for me. I'm against the custom really so I need guidelines. I feel bad about how I stiffed Florida DMs and others when I was new to diving. I guess I'll stick to $10 for 2 tanks for cattleboats if I get stuck on one, $15 on small boats when I get good service, and more if I impressed.

Back
Top Bottom