How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it is worth, Taxi cabs do not expect to be tipped however they will not turn one down.The stated price of the fare from point a to point b is all that needs to be paid.

The government does not need to get involved; I know how much you hate that. :D

All that would need to happen (and I don't seriously believe that anything I say will change anything) is for places of business to charge more, pay their employees more, and tell their customers and employees "no tipping". Then the rest of us could vote with our pocketbooks. There are a couple of restaurants here in Austin that do this. I like the idea.

When I go to the hardware store to buy a hammer, and an employee helps me find what I am looking for, I don't tip him no matter how exceptional he was. The price is the price.

Tipping long ago ceased to be a recognition of excellence, anyway; it's now an entitlement.
I agree, except - some of the Cozumel resorts advertise rates "including tips," but I doubt the employees are paid all that well. I still tip the maid, porters, waiters, etc.

I often wonder if I should have tipped the guy who delivered my home fridge? I was really impressed with his services, and he might have been trying to earn a tip - but it didn't cross my mind until later. I don't remember if I paid extra for deliver; probably did.

My rough rule of thumb (not Cozumel specific); $5/tank for basic 'taxi service,' $10/tank if they provide service substantially beyond that (e.g.: set up my gear, put a guide in the water at no added charge, etc...). Assuming I'm in a place where tipping is part of the local business model.

More than that, and it discourages me from going on the trip; shore diving destinations start to look better & better.

It's hard to call what a tip should be. It's like asking what to tip if someone serves you food. Is it:

1.) Based on what the food is worth to you?

2.) A perceived moral obligation to contribute toward a 'living wage' for the server? 'Living' for just him at a basic level, or is he supposed to have health insurance? If he got married & they had a kid, are you responsible to tip higher & subsidize that, too?

3.) To match the difference between his pay & minimum wage? In which case the institution of tipping has defeated itself.

4.) Tip what I'd want to make if I were serving. But of course, I wouldn't eat (or probably dive) at a place where I had to tip that much.

Richard.

I thought the dive masters and captains in Cozumel did make a decent living wage?

Think again. It's likely far less than you think.

This confuses me... aren't you already paying more for 'valet' service? I assume so, so if you're tipping on percentage the DM with the valet service will already be getting more money in his/her pocket.

I didn't say I tipped based on a percentage. I usually give 5 a tank for bigger non valet ops and 7-10 sometimes more for valet ops with good service.

$40-50 per trip, + tips spread across DM, Captain and back staff. This is also in one of most expensive areas to live in Mexico. Look around for either a rich Cozumel DM or a Unicorn, I am betting on finding the Unicorn first.

We tip, for me and my wife, $20 to each the DM and the Captain per day. Especially with our new dive op, Liquid Blue Divers, where the service is just incredible. Javier our boat captain takes very good care of my cameras and I appreciate that immensely. I remember my first day diving in Playa Del Carmen with my brand new shiny DSLR where the captain put a huge gouge in my 8" dome port...dead center. Good tip usually translates to good service. If for some reason it doesn't, then the amount will decrease. Haven't seen that in recent history though.

For a 2-tank trip: If they do a good job, I give them $60 for the two of us. $80 if they do a stellar job. Less if they don't.

Certainly could be, as I don't know of the personal finances of any of them.

How do you think a Cozumel divemaster sits in the hierarchy of jobs to have in Cozumel, say compared to a bartender or a waiter in a busy restaurant? Dive mastering in the US is basically a charity position, but wondering how it compares in Cozumel if it's thought of similar to the US version or considered a pretty coveted job to have or something in between? Taxi driver, police officer, hotel worker, dive master, which one is better off financially? Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom