how much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$300 total cost.

Oh you want to own your own mask fins, well then $600

Oh you dive local and want a tank, regulator, bc, um high end or low end? 1100-2500

What you want to night dive and keep track of your dive profile? 3-4k

Oh really you like that cave stuff, um let see at 6% interest and a new wife um lets just say 10k and 1/2 your property.

Oh photography is your thing, well no one really knows the true cost of that you see it is all done with mirrors, but man are the pictures cool.

no you really do not want a rebreather, but the training is sometime free if that tells you anything.

let see a length of string is usually about 6" short.

LOL, its true, but that can be true with any hobby, you could say the same thing about motocross bikes, radio control airplanes, computer gaming, car stereo's ect; ect;

Ebay and Craigslist are you friends. You should be able to get a full set up for well under $1k. I think I spent about $700 for my original set up, buying it one piece at a time as I saw stuff on sale. I have multiples of most things now and couldn't really tell you how much I have spent.

how much does all the diving stuff come up to? i estimated about $1100 for me to gety in the water not counting the cert price so how much would it cost?

I take my Padi OW class/pool training this weekend and do my open water training the following weekend. So far I have shelled out $800 for the class, books, DVD, fins, mask, snorkel, booties, whistle, weights and belt, and a rash guard. I haven't even got wet yet. I suspect the good stuff (BC, Reg, computer, etc) is gonna cost a whole lot more than the $800 I have already "invested."

It depends.

Getting Certified: The certification class (and any rentals/fees and required equipment). Plus the price of rentals for future shore dives. What is included and what you have to buy vary place to place. TS&M described our local scene well -- $450 is close to get certified.

The local sale price right now is $99. But then you add the instructional materials. Mask. Fins. Snorkel. Booties. Gloves. And you get right back to the $450 to $500 range.

OTOH, I know a place where the price is $325 plus tax and that includes instructional materials and all equipment. But you have to fly there...

Your Next Few Dives
Most often, the cost is the equipment rental. I know a tropical place where the rental is BC ($8), reg ($8), shorty ($8), tank/wts $12 plus a second fill at $5 -- so $41 gets you two shore dives that day (using tables).

Locally, there is more gear needs (more weight, thicker suits, hoods) and the cost is higher -- $75 should get you the same setup (bc/reg/wetsuit/hood/2 tanks/wts). That said, some classes offer discount rentals.

Buy Gear
Others have provided you with great advice. Every sport/hobby has the upper end. You can buy things like a a custom DUI drysuit and undergarment ($3k), great scooter ($5k), a nice rebreather (twice that!)...

But, as a recreational diver, to start (and assuming you already bought mask/fins/snorkel/fins/gloves/booties, above), you only need to get a BC, reg and octo, exposure suit (and hood?), pressure gauge and dive computer/depth gauge. Perhaps weights and you might rent or purchase tanks. For that, you can do $1100. (locally, I can probably meet that price shopping a local sale). It is decent stuff but lower in the trim levels (think Zeagle Envoy Regs, and air only console computers without ai)

Or you can spend a bit more. For new, my target range would probably be more like $2,000. A new BC, lets say about $450. New reg, lets say $350. Octo, lets say $100. SPG & lower end nitrox computer, lets say $350. Hood & wetsuit (7mm), let say $325. Add some weight and a DUI harness on sale for another $250) and a tank for $150. That is getting you some pretty nice gear.

Or you can spend a lot more. Halcyon BP/W. Regs made of Ti. Custom drysuit. Very spendy computers.

Last edited:
One other thing: don't care about how gear looks? You can save money. My brother's first BC was tropical oriented and bright pink. He was fine with that as it was only $80 brand new...

how much does all the diving stuff come up to? i estimated about $1100 for me to gety in the water not counting the cert price so how much would it cost?

It depends on the shop and or instructor certifying you, what type of gear you buy, etc. This is a very broad question.

You can buy a complete package of gear from websites for under a grand. At my LDS, they sell the same equipment you use to check out for 700$. Or just do what I do: buy a bp/wing then save for regs and so on. Rent as you go, i suppose.

You can buy a complete package of gear from websites for under a grand. At my LDS, they sell the same equipment you use to check out for 700$.

Here is the problem: Defining "a complete package of gear".

Does it include a 7mm wetsuit and hood (needed if you dive where I live) or a shorty (perhaps fine where you live)? Or neither? What does the OP need where he lives? Does he need a cold water reg? Does that complete package include a tank? Weights? Computer (if the OP thinks he needs that as part of his purchase)?

I have a sale flyer right next to me from a LDS that shows "equipment package A" for only $695. A closer look suggests there is no octo (you can add an air2 though for another $100). But around here, you would still need a wetsuit, mask/fins/snorkel, booties/gloves, hood, and either rent or buy weights/tanks.

i dont know if i need a cold water reg id prolly dive in no colder then 70 degrees

Look on Craigslist and eBay and you'll find lots of good deals on complete scuba gear packages that have only been used a few times. There's a reason. Lots of people go out and buy all that stuff, then figure out they don't like diving, don't have the time for it, or don't want to spend on the ongoing costs.

Have you thought about getting certified and renting gear for a while? To get certified, you'll need to buy a mask and fins (not sure whether they require a snorkel anymore). Buy your mask from a local dive shop. You'll pay more, but that way you can be sure that your mask fits and seals properly. You can spend between a few bucks and a fortune on fins. Check Craigslist and buy an inexpensive pair of used fins. If you're diving warmer water, get some that are closed heel (ie. your foot fits in a pocket, not the kind with a strap that goes around your heel). That way you don't have to buy a pair of booties.

Rent the rest of the gear a few times, so that you know you are going to stick with diving before you take the plunge on the big-ticket items.

Personally, I buy both new and used. Here's what I'd suggest:

Wetsuit: Buy new. You can get a decent wetsuit from LeisurePro or one of the other onlines for $100. I dive a Bare 3mm one-piece suit which cost $90 and holds up great. And I have the comfort of knowing that I am the only one who has ever peed in that wetsuit.

BC: Buy used. Should be able to find a decent one for $150 or less. Then take it into your dive shop and have it serviced, cost $25-35. Try to find one that has integrated weight pockets, that way you don't have to buy a weight belt.

Regulator: Buy new, your life depends on it. The regulator I dive cost me $170 new on eBay and has served me well. If you buy used you are going to have to have it serviced before using it (no matter what the seller tells you).

Computer: Buy used, get one that is air-integrated. If you stick with diving you are probably going to want to certify on Nitrox at some point, so make sure the computer is compatible (same goes for regulator). Hit eBay and Craigslist hard, you can find one for $200 or less. Replace the battery as soon as you get it, only costs a few bucks.

Weights: Buy used.

Octo: If the regulator you buy doesn't already have one, buy this new, you can get it for $75 if you shop around (I paid $60 for mine).

Knife: Basic knife new or used shouldn't cost you more than $15.

You might be able to find all of this stuff, in your size, in a package deal for less. If you go that way make sure to take it all in to your dive shop for inspection and service if needed.

You'll also want gloves. To start, you can use gardening gloves or the like.

Tanks are the last thing to buy, don't buy 'em unless you dive a lot as they are expensive and require annual inspections.

Bear in mind that when you buy all of this crap you're not done spending. Here are some costs you will incur every time you go:

Gear rental $50 (until you buy your own)
Tank rental $30 (assuming you are doing two-tank dives)
Boat charter $75-125 (unless you have a boat or a friend with one, in which case you will help pay for gas)
Lawyer $xxx (when your wife finds out how much you are spending on this).

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom