How often are you asked for C-card and/or dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for 25 years and have never logged a dive. I don't see the point in it. To answer the question, however, I have never been asked to see a dive log. I have been asked for a Certification though. Usually though, no one actuall sees my card. I am just asked to write down who I am certified with and what is the number. Also causes a small problem, I am YMCA certified and YMCA (at least back in the day) didn't include numbers on the card--I have no certification number! So far I have never been refused service yet for any type of diving I have tried.

Number of times ive been asked in the UK for a card or logbook to go diving inland or a charter? Exactly zero.

Number of times abroad ive been asked for a cert card? Most of the time.
Number of times abroad i've been asked for a log book? Once in my entire life. And thats only because i didnt have a certification with me.

almost never. It depends on how this rule is set at each scuba location.

A (somewhat) related question: How many of you carry a second c-card of the same level, just in case?

I don't carry the same level but I do have my old Basic OW cert in my logbook. Ive only been asked for my card once, but then again I usually dive with people that know me pretty well or with an instructor.

c-card: Every time but one.
log: never
Nitrox: most of the time
My wife forgot her c-card on one trip to Grand Cayman and they did not let her dive until it was faxed in. As it turns out they could have verified it on the NAUI web site, but being a PADI shop they thought that was only an option for PADI certs.

A (somewhat) related question: How many of you carry a second c-card of the same level, just in case?

I took 2 different Nitrox courses and carry both cards in case a shop or dive boat operator won't accept one or the other.

A far as my c-card.....I think everyone recognizes PADI AOW cert. so I only carry that one card with me.

Interestingly enough...if you know how to navigate PADI's website, you can pull up your card there and view it if you happen to lose the original.

Only at resorts. Never on the boat itself including on tech trips. I usually have my logbook which has a few of my cards in it. I keep my instructor and Helitrox cards in my wallet. But based on some others experiences the Helitrox isn't good enough for nitrox at some places! Gotta wonder at the level of isolation of these places.

I don't have any duplicate cards, but when I travel I usually have different cards (Rescue, AOW, OW) in differrent bags, in case a bag is misplaced by the airline, I'll still have a card.

As for the original question; I have been asked for a cert card many times. I have never been asked for a log book.

I'm always asked for my cert card here in NZ, and usually (though not always) in the Pacific islands. Some operators overseas have asked for my card number, but not needed visual backup. I have never been asked to show my log. I carry my AOW with me all the time, and have OW squirrelled away when I go travelling in case the other card goes missing.

c card usually.. log book or proof of deep dive within a year when we did the spiegel grove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom