How often are you asked for C-card and/or dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every time I dive(d) under the auspices of an organization other than my home one I needed to provide at least summaries of past diving experience and a log of all dives in the previous 12 months.

A (somewhat) related question: How many of you carry a second c-card of the same level, just in case?

I've always made color copies of my cards, and carried the copies in each piece of luggage and on my person. Lost gear can always be rented, proving certs is harder.

After reading this thread, I think I'll also put the scan of the cards somewhere on my web site. Probably some page that has no links to it that only I would know the URL for.

C-card yes dive log no. I make some mental notes about the dive or write some of the info (site name, cool fish, etc.) down on a piece of paper to enter in my log book when I get back from the trip. I just can't see dragging a log book along on my trips it's hard enough to get all of my gear in my suitcase with all of the restrictions the airlines have nowdays. I have seen several divers filling in their log books on the dive boat as soon as they get back on board to each his own I guess. :dork2:

We have had to show our c-cards with every op we've dived with, as far as I can remember, and nitrox cards for nitrox fills except at our local LDS, who issued said card. We've only had to show the log once, in Australia. Most dive ops ask for number of dives and date of last dive, which I usually refer to my log book for unless it was in the last few days.
I have several levels of c-cards and keep them in different places--one in my wallet, the rest in my log book, so if something gets lost I will have others. It is also possible for a dive op to get confirmation of your certification directly from the agency via internet, if necessary. I've never had to do that but I've seen it done. They may charge you for the fax but it's worth it if it saves your trip.

So far, everywhere I have dived has asked for my c-card (midwest quarries and Hawaii) but nobody has asked for my log.

When I gave my log to my AOW instructor to sign it, she went back through it just out of curiosity but didn't require it.

We were also asked date of last dive when in Hawaii.

I had one experience at an all inclusive resort where they asked me to prove when I had last dove. I was trying to get out of taking their skills test in the pool and I did just that by producing my log book that showed that I had four dives in the past two days (just not at their resort.) The DM looked a little skeptical so I whipped out my computer and showed him that my logged dives confirmed the log book.

Chalk-up one for keeping a log book!

Here in the Mid Atlantic, most dive boats not only want to see your C card, they also want to see proof of insurance.

Only time I've not been asked for a C-card was a couple years ago in Hawaii. That time the person behind the desk asked if I was certified. I answered that I was and that was that.

Logs never. On my recent trip to FL though I avoided one operator because they require recent logged dives. Other folks who, like me do not keep logs, reported that this operator required a series of accompanied check out dives if no log book. I looked at that as just a money grubbing requirement so I avoided them.

I did run into something this trip that I hadn't seen very often before; no medical form or release. Usually the operator has some kind of detailed medical disclosure form to complete. This operator took the tack that if you certified you absolved them from liability that was enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom