How often do you use your Gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kreef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering getting a Gopro to record my dive excursions, so I'd like to hear from gopro owners if its worth buying one. How often do you take your Gopro along when going diving and would you buy one again if you had to?

Every dive...But I only pull it out of my pocket when I see something I want to shoot.

I carry mine more often than I initially anticipated specially once I got good filters. I began to enjoy the results more and more while playing around with the filters. The new GoPro is even better, but I'm skipping that and getting a DSLR camera. I'm extremely happy with the original GoPro HD and will still use it.

I would suggest using a camera tray and filters for the GoPro. I never really liked any of the mounts like the wrist or head mounts. Fixed extension poles give you nice POVs and I once saw a video with a GoPro mounted to a doubles manifold that was interesting, but IMO a tray gives you the most versatility.

After 16 years of scubadiving, filming with Gopro has boosted the interest. Going to upgrade to H3 Black next year. Its not a pro camera, but great in terms quality/size vs. price.
Great for wideangle, normal filming, and timelapse. But for stills and macro there are better cameras. Above water there is so much mounting and places to place the camera. Run and buy it!

I've had mine for 6 months maybe, and it's been on two dives. I had it affixed to the light head of my can light and pretty much got only the beam of the light (dive 1 dive 2). I didn't have a dive housing for it on those dives. The diving I do here is low viz lake stuff as seen in the vids, so not much to record.

It'll get a good bit of use on upcoming trips (Bonaire, Lembeh, Cozumel) though. I need to get better at video editing, too!

I dont remember the last dive without one and I have bought a few since the original HD hero came out and will get a second hero3 black once the new 3D housing comes out. :D

What Marty said...though I'm on the fence about the hero3. If the hero3 3D system is better I'll jump on board, otherwise might buy a second set of 2's.

Welcome Kreef,

A GoPro is soooooooooo much more than just diving............while this is a Diving Website Forum, duh, I use my gopro(s) for soooooooo many things topside, from time-lapse, to action events.........your only limit is your imagination...........I LOVE on Martys VIMEO channel that he put his gopro in his dogs water bowl, and let 'em drink so you can see the slow motion tongue in action.........to me, that right there is very very creative and shows the world around us through different view points.

THIS RIGHT HERE is one of my FAVORITE GoPro Movies ever............it's simple, honest, non-high-tech editing or superstar people, or crazy jump off a cliff stunt............just a guy playing with his dog in his back yard...........dog playing keep-away with his ball and a stick in his mouth. The motion and smoothness of the dogs eyes tracking his owner, and the jiggling background.............what a VERY VERY cool perspective of what a dog sees while playing. This right here is what makes GoPros Special and I try all I can do to capture imaginative angle shots like this.

GoPro HD hero cam + roll bar mount + stick + stupid dog = Dog cam! - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom